The Planted Tank Forum banner

My ADA Style Cabinet with Plexiglass Door

14K views 97 replies 26 participants last post by  Uptown193 
#1 · (Edited)
I built my first stand over the weekend and here is how it came out. I used HD 1/2" hardwood Sandeply. I made a 1x3" frame and used 1x4" as the brace/legs which was notched 3/4" for the frame. I used MinWax Wood Conditioner and MinWax New Satin Black PolyShades. I used 000 Steel Wool to sand the stain. I also am using a 1/4" plexiglass as a door with basic hinges until I can find something better and I used a magnetic pop-latch. The reason I made a plexiglass door is so that I can see my new G3 Filter and my CO2 tank that I paid a lot of money for so why hide it. I am also thinking about using an LED color changing light to create some type of mood for inside the cabinet. This is my first build so be easy on me. I followed many threads in this website and learn a lot. I highly recommend everyone to build their own stand. It give you great satisfaction during and after the build. Everyone should try it if you are capable, at least try. Here are some pics. I am not going to describe in detail so if you have any questions feel free to ask.

See less See more
#2 ·
Completed the door. Thinking about making a 2" black boarder around the glass to hide the hinges and latch. What do you think?

#3 ·
Picture of the tools I used and that you need to assist in your build. Notice the tool box full of tools as well, lol.....

#5 ·
Thank you. I going all out on this one, well as much as my wallet can afford, lol.

Oh yea you think thats a good idea, cool. I was also thinking about just removing the hinges and just add another magnetic pop-latch on the upper right side so I can just remove the whole door rather then having to open it. What you think about that?

I just made a thread for the build called The Build - ADA 60P Style -Custom 35" stand. Make sure you use that one because I accidently made two thread.

#9 ·
Yea sorry about that. I was watching the Military Channel when I took that picture and they were doing a documentary on Hitler's Body Guards. I hope it doesn't offend anyone.

#10 ·
Thank you. Yea I thought about doing that but I thought it might take away from what I am going to do. Especially with the LEDs changing colors I think it will make the colors look more dull, no?

#11 ·
I am actually spray painted a 2" boarder around the whole glass now. I just did the first coat. I am doing this to eliminate the silver hinges and pop-latch. I will post pics when done.

#12 ·
Ok I did the 2" frame boarder with 2 coats of leftover flat black spray paint and 3 coats of acrylic clear coat spray. It is hard to notice in darker pictures but it is noticeable in person and it makes the stand look more uniform. I am happy. I can always tint the middle if necessary. What do you guys think? Feel free to comment.

#15 ·
I rather hav a keg in there. No, its not that big in there. Only about 20" wide and 13" deep.

#18 ·
Hey thank you very much. It is funny that you should say that because I have seen you stand many times over and I actually got my inspiration from the stand you and your FIL built. I just wanted to clear door so I can see my money, meaning the G3 and CO2, basically the guts of the aquarium. Thanks a lot for the inspiration. I almost got the 2217 as well but decided on the prettier G3.

Where did you get those foreground plants that are on the left side of the tank with the pointy thin leaves?

#22 ·
Oh ok kool. I just bought some plants from some members here so I should get them by Friday or Saturday. I will be very busy this weekend. :icon_smil

#23 ·
Thanks a lot. I will be I think Friday or Saturday even though I have a lot of school work, oh well. :hihi:

#30 ·
Lol, I wish. Yea it is a great filter and nice and quiet. Easy to maintain as well. I am glad I bought it.

#36 ·
Why do you say that?

Agh I with I had the room to build something like this
I am sure you can make the room if you really wanted to. :icon_wink

How long did the whole thing take to make if one were to devote an entire day to this project?
Well it was my first build and I started Friday night after work and finished sometime on Saturday since I had to go and buy new wood cause I cut some wrong. The plexiglass door was a PIA and took a few hours to shape and make perfect not to mention painting the border. I advise using wood glue prior to screwing each piece to avoid any squeaking. Finished product came out like a tank. So if you have some skills and all the proper tools I showed in the picture it should be good weekend project or maybe even a full day if you start early and make no mistakes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.