DIY Hood, stand, LED lights - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 03:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshinetheslacker View Post
.... I know a lot of people like rimless, or de-rimmed tanks, but I got to thinking. Why not show off the rim, instead of get rid of it?
I think you've accomplished your goal. Normally I don't care for design like this however you have done such an OUTSTANDING job, I really like it. It also fits that space very well.

Well Done!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 04:44 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I also REALLY dig it! How do you like the 20w LEDs? I was thinking about a pair for my 55 gallon low-light.

"Hopefully everything doesn't turn out horribly ironic"
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Reybie, thank you for all your complements thus far. I really like how well folks on TPT are ready to give out complements, or advice, as needed.

Hoppy, I think you'll like it much more once all the finishing touches are complete.

Dogfish, if you look on page 1, you will see something that looks like a picture frame, made out of 1.5 inch crown moulding. I still need to stain it, but that's going to be what covers up the black frame on top. And as far as it fitting the space, I can scan the prototype pics that I drew up at work (if I can find them) and I measured, checked aquarium sizes, and re-measured, to figure out exactly how big of a tank and stand I could have. The limiting factors being the light switch on the left hand side, and the bathroom door on the right. That door doesn't open all the way as it is, so I didn't want to make it too much of a squeeze to get through. But thank you very much on the complements, I greatly appreciate it.

Dragonfish, The LEDs are pretty awesome, but I don't think they produce much PAR for the plants. We'll see how things grow. So far I know it's enough to keep crypt parva, java fern, and some stem plant alive. But none have done much growing. I'm going to put at least one more 10w LED in there, and possibly two more after that (one on each side of the hood) The shimmer effect is awesome, and without the front of the hood attached, the shimmering on the ceiling is beautiful. If I ever build another stand (what am I saying? Of course I will!), I'm going to make one that is a lot more industrial looking, and juse use conduit with the LED flood lights, so you can see the entire light, and the ceiling shimmer. It looks like I have a swimming pool in my dining room! It will pain me somewhat to finish the hood, and close it all up.
A note on the 20W floods. The only place I could find them online was through alibaba.com, or aliexpress.com I paid $75 for the two 20W floods, with free shipping. But then the bill for customs tax came about a month later, for 30 dollars. So they were approx. a dollar per watt. Also, the emitters on those 20W LEDs are HUGE!! Like, a full square inch!

Also, I'm going to need a TON of aquascaping advice. I have EXTREMELY limited knowledge on aquatic plants (come on, I threw a bloody banana peel and multi vitamins into my dirt!) so I don't know what will look right, how fast it will grow, how big things will get, etc. All I know about is the really long grass that grows in the northernmost portion of the chesapeake bay, anubias nana, and crypt parva. Oh, and I also know that I can't keep glosso alive to save my life. I'll get some pics of the way I laid the substrate out once the tannins clear up a bit. I'll need knowledge on rocks, driftwood, etc. I'll make a new thread in the aquascaping forum, and link to it from here. In the mean time, where would be a good place to research rocks? It seems like there aren't too many great rocks around me, but maybe I'm not looking in the right places?

As a matter of fact, yes, I always post, or reply, in novels. I'm adding it to my signature because it seems like I say it in every post!
Fraternity of dirt #32 I'm dirty
UGLY TANK
DIY Asian themed aquarium stand

Last edited by moonshinetheslacker; 09-28-2011 at 11:49 AM.
post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 03:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It looks awesome! Although I will be very curious about how well fish do in your tank with that substrate lol.
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 03:22 PM
Planted Member

Very nice. Kudos on doing something different than "ADA knockoff" or "2x4 madness"!
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I totally laughed at the "2x4 madness!" comment! Thanks for that! Here are a few pics of the stand and hood, at 95% complete. I just need to build the caps for the legs. But that's about it.

I used three switches for the 6 LED flood lights, so I can turn on either the outer two, middle two, or two most center. It makes for a very dramatic scene, when the sides are lit up, but the center is dark. When I get the chance, and maybe after the water clears up again, I'll put up some pics of the tank with just the side lights, or just the center lights on.

The water is all yellow, I think due to the tannins leaking out of the mineralized topsoil... at least, I hope that's what the problem is. If anyone knows, feel free to let me know.

As a matter of fact, yes, I always post, or reply, in novels. I'm adding it to my signature because it seems like I say it in every post!
UGLY TANK
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 01:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

My wife just walked by and saw this. She was very impressed! That is quite an accomplishment. So, I just did some "redesign" and decided I think the proportions would be better with a taller tank.

I think the only imperfection is the low tank - otherwise a very good looking furniture quality tank setup.

Hoppy
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hhhhmmmmmm... I'm not sure whether I like it tall, or short. My original plan was to have the stand about 6 inches shorter. I wanted something very squat looking. Which is probably why it doesn't quite look right. It should either have a shorter stand, or a taller tank. Maybe when I move I'll sell the 75 gallon, and pick up a 90. They're about 4 inches taller, yeah?

And thanks for the complements. They are very appreciated. I'm thinking about making a similar stand for the first 5 tanks listed on this page: http://alysta.com/books/fishtank.htm
But I want to make it out of two 8 foot 2x12s. Maybe do a how-to on it. Something small, easy to make, but still look different.

But that will be much later. AFTER I fix the roof, the window sills which have rotted due to the roof leaking for years, leveling the curtain rods, finishing the trimwork on all the base boards on the first floor, along with all the windows. re-painting the second floor, and finish painting the third floor... etc... etc... etc...

UGLY TANK
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 05:17 PM
Algae Grower

*cough* trim around bottom(and top maybe) of tank *cough*

Why fall just short of perfection?

Great job.

create random acts of beauty...
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Heh, I guess you didn't bother to.. um.. look? At the top? It IS covered in trim. I am considering putting trim around the bottom... but I sort of like the straight angles. I might put something very flat around it, just to cover the black... maybe... we'll see.

Short of perfection? I think I'll take that as a compliment. Thank you!

UGLY TANK

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode