Very nice work!
I love that thick slab top.
Since you used S.P.F lumber, you may notice some surprising amount of expansion as they equalize with the humidity in your home. I've glued up spruce/pine/fir lumber before to make "cheap" woodturnings with, and they always "move around"--- the wood just didn't keep a smooth glue joint over time.
If that happens, it won't affect the integrity of the thing at all but might give you a fit where any expanded wood may show a light, wood color streak that contrasts with the stain.
Thank you for the complement on the top. It really made the look that I'm going for. Something very substanial
.It's kinda funny you mention the glue. Two days after I glued the thing together, I moved it to my front porch so I would have space to work on everything else in my dining room.
It rained a couple nights later...
all my nice, smooth, sanded glue joints popped up AFTER I put on all three coats of stain. Can't sand them down without sanding the stain off... URGH!! Ohwell. I'm moving to CA in about a year or so. Nice and dry! The glue will settle down out there, and go back to being smooth again, I'm sure.
Excellent job!! I would like to suggest a small orbital sander if you don't already have one. They are wonderful tools. If you use a belt sander at be EXTREMELY careful. First time I used one of these, it took a big chunk of wood out of my project.
Lastly, I would encourage you to explore the different types of polys out there. Recently I discovered a wipe on poly by Minwax.
I would use the high gloss one. It doesn't come out looking extremely glossy and it very easy to apply. Due to the manner of application to your project you can almost guarantee an even coat of poly onto your project.
My husband built me a wooden stand, and used the liquid poly. He was extremely frustrated. It was hard for him not to get runs in the poly. If you do choose this type of poly, I would use those disposable sponge brushes. Buy some at the dollar store.
Multiple applications are a must!! It will help preserve your piece, especially from water.
I actually did use a poly from minwax. The block is covered in gloss Polycrylic, and the legs are coated in polycrylic satin.
Oh, and I do have an orbital sander. The 90 degree grinder was used for leveling everything out. It would have taken 30+ hours with my orbital. Also, the ridgid orbital that I have began smoking. Silly me. I didn't register it for the lifetime warranty, and had to buy another one (burnt the motor coils). I've since learned... register for the lifetime warranty for those bloody things!
I'll get a couple pics up in a few days. Everything is turning out REALLY well. I have the block attatched to the legs, and pretty much all the load bearing stuff is in place. The table holds me, my wife, and my son, without a problem. No creaking, no racking. Tonight I'm going to put the bamboo on both sides, and begin construction of the bamboo doors.
My filter came in yesterday too. It's an "aquatop" canister... looks just like the sunsun, and comes with a built in 9W UV sterilizer, which you can turn on and off as you please. It also was less than 100 bucks with shipping! MAN I'm getting excited! I hate going to work because it takes time away from working on my aquarium, lol.