Using EMT piping for suspending light - The Planted Tank Forum

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 05:17 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
Higher Thinking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Oregon State Beavers!
Posts: 1,531
Using EMT piping for suspending light

So this isn't the most aesthetic thing ever, but it works. It doesn't help that my light fixture, tank, and stand are all different colors.

I bought two ten foot 1/2 inch EMT pipes (2*$2.18)
A package of brackets ($2.45)
Screws (.98)
Pack of two eye bolts w/ nuts ($2.27)
Pack of pipe caps ($1.19)
4 feet of chain ($2.28)
Total: $13.58

Pretty cheap to get the job done. Plus it allows for the pipes to rotate to allow easy access. I got everything from Home Depot and man they helped out. I talked to the manager and got him to drill the holes into the pipe for me and also to bend the pipe with one of the pipe benders they had for sale. I walked out with everything ready to go except for measuring and cutting to size. He asked if I wanted him to do that too, but I had a hack saw at home so I passed. Anyway, here it is, hope it can help someone else.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0700.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	33249  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0701.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	33250  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0703.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	33251  

Higher Thinking is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 01:17 PM
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bridgewater, NJ
Posts: 84
Looks great! I had help doing this same thing for one of my tanks and I'm very pleased with the result. What are the end caps for? My local HD and ACE stores don't carry anything like that, at least not for conduit...
andrews02r is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
Higher Thinking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Oregon State Beavers!
Posts: 1,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrews02r View Post
Looks great! I had help doing this same thing for one of my tanks and I'm very pleased with the result. What are the end caps for? My local HD and ACE stores don't carry anything like that, at least not for conduit...
Thanks. They are actually chair caps. You can find them in the section with door stoppers and all those little pads to go beneath furniture legs so they don't scratch the floor. You can't always find the perfect size so I got some that were slightly larger and just wrapped duct tape around the pipe a few times to thicken it up and they fit tightly now.
Higher Thinking is offline  
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 03:46 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,458
Anchoring

Awesome! I've been trying to have a similar light setup.

1) How/where do you anchor the bracket posts?
2) Does anyone have a method to anchor them to tanks without drilling/gluing?
3) What does EMT stand for?

Thanks!
AirstoND is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 04:21 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
GitMoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 1,668
Looks great. Add a can of spray paint and you can match the pipes to the light fixture.
GitMoe is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 08:58 PM
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Kailua, HI
Posts: 105
Looks great H T.

EMT = electrical metallic tubing or conduit.

I'm also interested as to how and where the brackets are attached.
ErikO is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
Higher Thinking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Oregon State Beavers!
Posts: 1,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstoND View Post
Awesome! I've been trying to have a similar light setup.

1) How/where do you anchor the bracket posts?
2) Does anyone have a method to anchor them to tanks without drilling/gluing?
3) What does EMT stand for?

Thanks!
Electrical Metallic Tubing. You buy u-clamps which wrap around the tube and screw in on the sides. I'll get a pic up of them later tonight. Don't know how to anchor them without drilling or gluing. If you have a stand will steel legs you might be able to zip tie them to the legs, don't really know tho.
Higher Thinking is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 11:52 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
lbacha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 1,056
Looks good I did a similar thing with copper I wish I used conduit though because the copper was too hard and kinked when I bent it.

Len
lbacha is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 02:41 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,458
Got It!

I think I'll go with larger ID tube and zip tie it to the legs without damaging them. Then use a longer, smaller ID tube with the suspended lights that'll fit into that one.

Thanks again, seems I had a mental block on how to go about it.
AirstoND is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 02:57 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
lbacha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 1,056
I just used the brackets that are used to hang the tubing all it is is one screw per clamp and it holds it well.

Len
lbacha is offline  
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 05:12 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
Higher Thinking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Oregon State Beavers!
Posts: 1,531
Here is a pic of what the clamp looks like
Attached Images
 
Higher Thinking is offline  
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 09:05 AM
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Kailua, HI
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstoND View Post
I think I'll go with larger ID tube and zip tie it to the legs without damaging them. Then use a longer, smaller ID tube with the suspended lights that'll fit into that one.

Thanks again, seems I had a mental block on how to go about it.
Good idea.

I had the same mental block.
ErikO is offline  
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 01:21 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
slavecorps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chicago, IL / Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 434
I did a similar project to hang a DIY fixture over my 30-C but the people at my local Home Depot were not helpful and did not allow me to use their benders. For those of you who want to do something similar but don't have access to or skills to use a conduit bender you can use pre-bent 90 degree angles and then by hand force out the bend(s) so that they are slightly less than 90 degrees. Then find a dowel rod that fits the inner diameter of the tubing and insert between the straight pipe and the bent pipe. Use an EMT coupler where they join and drill into the EMT and the dowel where the coupler is then use some slightly longer screws than what came with the coupler to secure it.
slavecorps is offline  
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 05:13 PM
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bridgewater, NJ
Posts: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by slavecorps View Post
I did a similar project to hang a DIY fixture over my 30-C but the people at my local Home Depot were not helpful and did not allow me to use their benders. For those of you who want to do something similar but don't have access to or skills to use a conduit bender you can use pre-bent 90 degree angles and then by hand force out the bend(s) so that they are slightly less than 90 degrees. Then find a dowel rod that fits the inner diameter of the tubing and insert between the straight pipe and the bent pipe. Use an EMT coupler where they join and drill into the EMT and the dowel where the coupler is then use some slightly longer screws than what came with the coupler to secure it.
you lost me... got some pics to walk us through what you're describing?
andrews02r is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome