Hafele LED Lighting - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hafele LED Lighting

Hey everyone,
I'm new here but I've been reading on this forum for months. I figured I'd finally join up and post since I can't get enough.
I have a 55G Freshwater planted that's been a lot of things but I'm enjoying the planted tank route. I have Ocelot Swords, Grass, Dwarf Baby tears, Fern, and some other basics just to see what does well and allow me to practice.

In looking at lighting, I wanted to share this product that I am looking at and get your opinions on it. My company sells it, so I can get this at cost but I'm not sure if it will work as well as a DIY with CREE or some variant there of.

Hafele PDF Link

Other LOOX LED products

Tons of other LED 'Stuff' from Hafele

They have a couple other items... strips, ribbon tape, etc..so please let me know what you think. I figure the 'decorative' aspect of it might have better aesthetic appeal depending on the DIY case.
The quality on these products is good. Using it in my applications, it's good stuff but I just am a bit unsure on the "science of light" side of things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 11:57 AM
Planted Member

I'm unfortunately being stopped and asked for login info at all the links you've posted.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 12:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

Same here, supposed to log on. Is this the same Hafele that sells cabinetry supplies?

If you could perhaps copy/paste a description of the LEDs. They will need to be a minimum of 1 watt LEDs in a reasonably good color temp (daylight or 6500K, or somewhere therabouts).

Over a 55g tank you will want around 55-70 watts of LED power, but this is a rough number that is only a guide, and a lot depends on the angle of the optics on the LEDs and the efficiency of the LEDs.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Horrible... My fault. I'm not by my computer but will repost this info. It is the same company as for cabinetry supplies. They just have a ton of led lights now and the specs look close.

Will repost links

55 Gallon 30G Hex Front Journal Other Tanks: Fluval Edge, 20G Long Grow Tank, 55 Gallon Angel, 20G Tall Breeder
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Click image for larger version

Name:	Loox LED.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	29616

So essentially, this is the main one. They have different shapes and sizes. They come with a standard transformer that fits these plugs. It's the specs I'm most worried about.

They also have this stuff which is essentially Ribbon LED Tape.
Item #: 833.73.340
LOOX LED, 12V, 2013, flexible ribbon, 25 watts, cool, warm, 6400k, 5000 x 8 x 2.5mm
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 11:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

Looks fine to me. Hafele makes good cabinetry product.

The one thing you may need to do is remove that light diffuser that's on it. I have a suspicion that it's dragging PAR levels down.

By the way, those appear to be 3 emitters, 1 watt each. And the lumens/watt on that chart are TERRIBLE, a decent 1 watt LED should get you around 70-90 lumens/watt.

BUT the good news is, I have a suspicion that the lumens/watt rating is WITH that light diffuser installed. It makes things look nicer and softer in a kitchen but reduces light for sure.

Get rid of the diffusers and I think you'll be fine. Shoot for around 50-60 watts to start, esp if you can add more if needed.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

@redfishsc Hadn't thought about the diffuser being what drug those down. That's a good point.

Even at cost, these will be a more expensive DIY option. However, my biggest advantage is the wiring. These plug into the transformer with special connectors... That makes it a HUGE advantage for someone with no electrical/wiring background.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 03:16 AM
Wannabe Guru

You're in Raleigh. I'm in Wake Forest. I can teach you all you need to know about LEDs, just come on up. I'll be wiring up some LEDs around mid or late May for my own tank, I'd be glad to show you.

It's not a hard as you think, and once you get started, it gets easier very quickly. Being able to read the datasheet for LEDs and for the drivers will tell you all you need to know as far as electrical stuff.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 03:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

And by the way, since I'm a cabinet maker, I may be needing cabinet components. If you're a sales rep, definitely send me a PM. I work for the Seminary here in WF and we would be interested in a Hafele catalog.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 01:07 PM
Algae Grower

How many were you going to use? I think they'll light the tank fine and they look nice, but probably wont grow plants. For LED grow lights you really need a matrix of them to get enough coverage because each individual LED will only provid high PAR values directly underneath them.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well, I was not sure yet exactly how many I was going to use. I think I'm going to take a look at redfishsc's setup and see. I'm really interested if the science behind these lights would suffice for an aquarium. I've considered taking my 48" strip and pulling the guts out to modify it to an LED strip.

Depending on the cost/work vs benefit that's associated with it i might just opt for a Catalina Aquarium T5 fixture. They seem to be pretty spot on. (no pun intended)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode