Garden Mesh Netting? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Garden Mesh Netting?

I went to Ace Hardware to look for polypropolyene (sp?) mesh to make a lid to place on top of my aquarium and underneath a mounted light fixture. They didn't have that but they do have rolls of some sorta hard mesh used for gardening. $20 something per roll.

Wondering if something like that would be fine for placing under a mounted light fixture to keep fish from jumping out. I couldn't put a frame around it as I could the polypropolyene but I could lay a cut out piece over the tank and I will if I get some replies indicated that it would be fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 07:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

20 dollars a roll? It better be made by ada if it's that expensive.

Check out window screening. Those things only cost like 3 dollars for large roll at walmart. And then you can also DIY a frame for it using window screening frame, or duct/electrical tape. It's usually by the arts and crafts department or home improvement section.

Currently out of the hobby
Forum lurking every now and then
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinoyBoy View Post
20 dollars a roll? It better be made by ada if it's that expensive.

Check out window screening. Those things only cost like 3 dollars for large roll at walmart. And then you can also DIY a frame for it using window screening frame, or duct/electrical tape. It's usually by the arts and crafts department or home improvement section.
Interesting. I wasn't sure I could use window screen. I believe this is bird screen or something, I'd have to go back to Ace and look to be sure. I'll probably try your idea at this time. I need something. I know alot of people prefer just straight open tops and I could do that but I'm too paranoid about losing fish, and shrimps.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 12:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Bird netting won't contain shrimp.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbosman@msu.edu View Post
Bird netting won't contain shrimp.
Hey, thanks for the warning. I wonder how small the square openings would need to be to contain ghost shrimp. I only keep ghost atm.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 12:24 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Garden Mesh Netting?

Be careful with the window screen it will reduce the light that gets to your plants by quite a bit. Best top to use is a piece of glass unless you want to really reduce your lighting.

Eheim Pimpin 225

--GTO--
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by |GTO| View Post
Be careful with the window screen it will reduce the light that gets to your plants by quite a bit. Best top to use is a piece of glass unless you want to really reduce your lighting.
That's what I thought. I used to use glass canopies but then I read that not only does it block a bit of light but if you have stronger light then it causes heating inside the tank so therefore some openess to it allows the light to penetrate the substrate while at the same time not trapping the excess heat in? Something like that lol.

Gonna hit a few hardware stores tomorrow and I'll figure out something. I'm already decided against eggcrate. I just know I'm not going to have a completely open top but I also don't want a screen that blocks out too much light to my plants.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 01:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Each layer of fiberglass "insect screening" for windows blocks about 40% of the light. In effect it reduces high light to medium light, and medium light to low light.

Hoppy
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It's called hardware cloth and is made by Garden Zone. It was $14 per huge long roll.

This is what it is and I was considering the 1/4" one:

http://garden-zone.com/cloth.html

I sure hope someone comments.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 07:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

that is... really expensive.

I bought my roll at lowes for 6 bucks. With the metal window frame and the rubber spline, it came out to be about 10 bucks total.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_15542-15369-...en%26page%3D11

that's what I used

I used the insect one as I wanted to reduce my lighting. The holes are about 1.5mm in size

Speedie408 used the 1/4inch netting and it doesn't block that much light, only about 5%. It won't be able to keep the smaller ones from jumping though.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 11:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Is it really possible for a fish to aim at a quarter inch hole, hit it, and escape the tank that way? It sounds unlikely, but I suppose some fish are really smart

Hoppy
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 11:42 PM
ShrimpRetirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
Is it really possible for a fish to aim at a quarter inch hole, hit it, and escape the tank that way? It sounds unlikely, but I suppose some fish are really smart
I LOL'd at that remark Hoppy

Like Iwannagofast was saying, you can use the stuff I'm using which is black polyurethane 1/4" netting. I got a whole lot still available for $1/square foot. Here's a picture of my setup:

See how high my light is? I have very minimal lighting issues. As already mentioned, smaller fish can use echo detection to jump out these 1/4" squares so you may be better off with something a bit smaller if smaller fish are what you're trying to keep inside. :P
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 11:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

"That's right, but they never attack the same place twice. They were testing the fences for weaknesses, systematically. They remember."
points if you know where that's from
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 11:50 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Jurassic Park
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 11:53 PM
ShrimpRetirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWANNAGOFAST View Post
"That's right, but they never attack the same place twice. They were testing the fences for weaknesses, systematically. They remember."
points if you know where that's from
LOL I second JP.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode