Help with idea for DIY stand - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to jwalls1082
Help with idea for DIY stand

I'm in the process of setting up a 40 breeder for a red ear slider. I decided to custom build the stand and quickly realized I didn't want half my tank area used up for basking. I'd like to incorporate a basking area into the stand that's both above and behind the tank.

I don't really like the idea of the area sitting directly on the tank for a few reasons which aren't really important. Mostly it's an idea driven by preference. I'd like to make it the length of the tank and about 12" wide.

Would this be something simple to include in a DIY stand? I may be over thinking it a bit and complicating it in my head. Any and all ideas/criticisms are welcome. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 09:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

If I understand the question, you want to make a stand for a 40 breeder tank that would have a top that is 36 inches long and 30 inches wide, leaving 12 inches at the back to acommodate the basking area. That will work fine, as long as you have a load bearing support under the top that coincides with the back of the tank, so the load is carried over to the ends of the stand, over to the back legs, and down to the floor. Without that, the top would tend to sag under the back of the tank, leaving it supported only by the ends and front. Obviously the most direct way to do this is to just have a leg or pair of legs at that location, in addition to those at the back.

Hoppy
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 09:59 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

There should be no problems, like Hoppy said, just build that stand as if the tank was 30" wide and then build a separate shelf area for the basking section. it will take up more floor space, but if you got the room for it go for it
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That's exactly what I was asking. I knew it would have to be supported and that it'll take up some more space, which is the downside - not to mention the extra weight. But it'd allow a lot more space for the turtle to swim and get dry. I guess I was just thinking about it too much. Thanks so much for the input! I've got to get a sketch together and figure up what I'll need.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I've got a rough idea drawn up. I'd like to assemble this in two pieces and just attach them so it's easier to move around. I didn't include the tank in the drawing. Basic 2x4 stand with what is pretty much hollow book shelf on the back side. Let me know what you think!

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 07:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

If you made them in one piece, it would be much more stable... If you make them in two, you will use more wood, as well.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I know it would require more wood to do as two pieces. Would I not regain the stability if I attached them in various places via screws? Or am I not thinking about it correctly. This is why I ask the questions. Didn't want to go it alone.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 10:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I guess I just don't see a good reason to build it separate. I would want most stable, and that would be 1 piece. Think it would look better too. You could skin the stand in one piece then, and have it all seem like it is supposed to be that way... not an afterthought.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 04:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Right, I thought about doing a 1 piece construction but I do have a couple reasons for wanting to split it into 2 pieces. 1) maneuverability and 2) ability to reuse the base stand structure once I have to move the turtle to a bigger tank or pond. I know it may be silly to do because it will look more like it was added on to an existing stand. I haven't gone as far as buying the first piece of wood for it yet. I'm trying to consider my options for how to go about this project. I'm excited to get going tho.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 04:56 AM
Wannabe Guru

I think the 2 piece will be fine. I won't be any less stable than just a tank stand alone.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 12:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

my worry is, with filling your tank to the rim so the slider can climb onto the basking area is the possibility of him climbing out the front and tumbling to the floor. your going to need to have a "fence" around the sides and front to prevent that.

"[Wabi-sabi] nurtures all that is authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect." -original author unknown-

125g marine reef tank, 6 gallon fluval edge minimalist aquascape (in progress), 1 gallon aqueon evo 2 betta tank.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Oh, I'm planning on leaving around 2-3" from water surface to the rim, and am considering using some egg crate or other plastic screen to keep it inside. Just enough to keep it from escaping.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode