DIY filter??? - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Bunsen Honeydew

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Question DIY filter???

Hey all, I currently have a fluval 20 on my 29 gallon tank and i have been thinking of making my own filter. Something along the lines of a mini sump off to the side of the tank in maybe a 5 gallon. Filter floss, soil, carbon, ceramic bio rings, etc. Although I am concerned about finding the right pumps. I was thinking of using two powerheads, one for the intake and one for the outake, to act almost as a canister filter.... What do you guys think? I have a planted tank and really want to step up the biological filtering to get the best out of it that I can. Maybe even dose through the mini sump/filter??? I'm just brainstorming here. If anyone else has done this let me know, i'd love some advice and thoughts. Also possibly make it a snail breeding tank along with an aquaponic filtering system integration?? I dont know, i'm just spitballing here

-I'm new to this-

Last edited by ZaneJ; 05-12-2017 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Missed something
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 09:02 AM
Planted Member

any reason you dont want to use a hang on the back overflow box?

if it's cuz of the pricing you can always just build a pvc overflow instead of having a 2nd pump to pull water

Specs: Aqueon 135 Gallon, 55 Gallon Sump, 3x SBReef FW LEDs
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 10:17 AM
Planted Member

Do not use 2 pumps like this unless you want to see what your house looks like wet.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
TheGreenWizard and Dman911 like this.

“Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth.” -Jules Verne

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 11:13 AM
Algae Grower

One pump is plenty of you put it under the tank set up an overflow or restricted flow down then just a pump to put water back. My advise is to have it above the tank them one pump into the sump then waterfall in or just gravity down a tube. You don't really even need a tank just a plastic planter box is fine and you can just rest it on the tank.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode