Paintball Co2 Injection DIY Setup with Tons of Photos - Page 44 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #646 of 2409 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 02:07 AM
Algae Grower

This stuff is insanely confusing
Someone should make these and sell them for a little profit...I'd buy it :P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #647 of 2409 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

It's pretty basic.

You need the following

-Paintball co2 tank any size from 9oz to 24oz.
-ASA On/Off Valve that goes ontop of the Paintball co2 Tank.
-A Needle Valve to fit the thread size of the ASA On/Off Valve (Side thread screw in)
-Teflon tape everything
-Co2 Tubing

Just simple as that. What made it confusing is where some people experienced the co2 leakage with the "Watts Needle Valve" that I recommended from Page 1. Although, I'm using the same "Watts Needle Valve" on 3 different Paintball co2 tank which works fine. It got a little bit more confusing, when people went a different route and got a Detrol Needle Valve and that seem to have problem as well, then a few members went with a Swagelok Needle Valve which seem to be working pretty well. So it's the matter of "Needle Valves" to chose from. Could easily be installation error or a defective needle valve. That's basically the breakdown of it. Pretty simple setup.

She winks, Let's dance.

post #648 of 2409 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 02:58 AM
Algae Grower

i am haveing a hard time finding a needle valve that will fit...

Will this work?

Needle Valve For CO2 Regulator

will it fit on a 20oz bottle?

I wasted a few dollors on stuff that doesnt fit or work
post #649 of 2409 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 03:47 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

The two threaded size opening on ALL the ASA On/Off Valve are 1/8" Male NPT. That being said, Any Needle Valve that comes up that doesn't have 1/8'' NPT Thread, it won't screw in.

That Needle Valve you listed above in your link states it's..
"Inlet - Male Threaded NPT 1/8" (measures 1/4" OD physically) / Outlet - Hose Barb 1/8" (or 4/6 mm ID/OD tubing). This is the valve supplied with our Econo CO2 regulators."

I would say base on the description that it will work screw in fine, as far as fine adjustment, I do not know anything about how it works other than it will screw onto the ASA On/Off Valve. Now, on the Outlet - Hose Barb 1/8" (or 4/6 mm ID/OD tubing), you might need to find a co2 hose to fit that. I believed the one I'm using is a 8mm size. 4mm/6mm would be a bit big.

Hope that clears up some confusion. All Needle Valve needs to be 1/8'' NPT to screw into the ASA On/Off Valve, Keep that in mind.

This is also regarding gauges. Any brand type gauge will work, doesn't matter if it reads 400psi max or all the way to 3000psi. It must have a 1/8'' NPT to screw into the ASA On/Off Valve if you want to use a gauge.

She winks, Let's dance.

post #650 of 2409 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 04:06 AM
Algae Grower

this thread is awesome! i've been trying to find an asa on/off valve, but the stores around me don't sell them used.does anyone have an extra they want to sell cheap or give away?
post #651 of 2409 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 05:15 AM
Algae Grower

I would also like to know a place that sells asa adapters with 2 1/8 so I can put on it, the two I'm using now don't have 2 holes, I'm in canada and it's hard to get anything here, online from U.S. well expensive shipping.

post #652 of 2409 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 06:28 AM
Wannabe Guru

Thanks again for this wonderful thread!

Here is a picture of my 1st rig. I working on a 2nd right now. It will be the same, but I'm getting a red ASA and the will be the Swag is one step down to the ovm2.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	155.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	216.0 KB
ID:	25529  

ADA mini L - ADA 120p

post #653 of 2409 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldmantis View Post
I would also like to know a place that sells asa adapters with 2 1/8 so I can put on it, the two I'm using now don't have 2 holes, I'm in canada and it's hard to get anything here, online from U.S. well expensive shipping.
Check ebay for it. Keywords such as Co2 on/off valve, Asa on/off valves, paintball on/off valve should come up with some. Read the description, it will either tell you it has 2 1/8'' holes or not. There sill always be 1 1/8'', the 2nd one is usually for a Gauge or either blocked off with a hex thread screw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbug View Post
Thanks again for this wonderful thread!

Here is a picture of my 1st rig. I working on a 2nd right now. It will be the same, but I'm getting a red ASA and the will be the Swag is one step down to the ovm2.
Very cool. Looks great. If ever my Watts Needle Valve fail on me, I will keep in mind the Swagelok one for future replacements.

She winks, Let's dance.

post #654 of 2409 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 07:37 AM
Algae Grower

i hooked up the ovm2 valve and i have the red 32 degree asa valve. I was having a ton of trouble getting a good seal when connecting the valve to the asa when using teflon tape, the instance I removed the tape and just wrenched the pieces together there were no leaks. oh and the ovm2 valve adjust so easily
post #655 of 2409 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 07:47 AM
Algae Grower

I was thinking about getting the swag needle valve. how is it, does the bubble rate ever fluctuate?

post #656 of 2409 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 09:33 AM
Algae Grower

I have only had it setup for 1 day, but it seems consistant and easy to adjust
post #657 of 2409 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 06:29 PM
Algae Grower

are you using something to count the rate or just your eye, I use the stop watch feature on my cell phone and I find that the watts will deviate from what you set about 8ms in the course of a day or so. When I need it to be 1 bubble per 3 seconds I set it to like 1 bubble per 2.2 seconds.

post #658 of 2409 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 08:16 PM
Algae Grower

I use a ladder diffuser, so i just count 1 one thousand and so on and when i see a bubble I start my count over. It has stayed consistant, and I bet with the swag valve you can get down to 1 bubble per 5 or six seconds if you want, it can really fine tune. If you are still looking for an asa valve you can search amazon, i got mine for 10 dollars. maybe later I will post my setup.
post #659 of 2409 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 10:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to happi
i still get the co2 leak from that hole (posted in the previous post somewhere), i don't know whats causing it. could anyone post a picture or something which could explain the problem. someone said something about the o-ring being a problem, where is that ring located at or suppose to be at.

soon as i try to close the on/off all the way the co2 leaks crazy. any solution
post #660 of 2409 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 10:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I just had this problem a second ago LITERALLY, lol weird...anyway, just replace the o-ring on the tank Its right at the top of the tank on the part where u screw on the ASA. I dont know if you tried this already but I did that and the problem is fixed.

Just want to update also, installed the A-40 valve instead of the A-41, lowes had multiple different packagings for each valve so I guess there were different shipments, maybe why some peoples were leaking and some were not. I will let you know how it goes. I also found a gauge on my old gun Been using c02 for over a week(maybe 2 , i cant remember) and still at 900psi pressure!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode