Paintball Co2 Injection DIY Setup with Tons of Photos - Page 134 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1996 of 2412 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 09:05 AM
SCAPEr

Just wanted to bounce this thread up. Looks like some people having a hard time to build it. Important rule: do not go cheap on the ASA on/off valve. Buy the one that are 10bucks + at eBay. Do not buy the 5 dollars one, because it did not work for me. Don't forget to grease up the threads for extra protection. I have been running my setup for more than six months now with 0 problem.

Yes it will be frustrating for the first 2 weeks setting this up and you will waste some gas and have to refil your tank several times. I learned from all my mistake I made on making this DIY and t pays off.

Right now I'm using super diffuser with paintball co2 and it is hands down.
If you guys are still having a hard time putting it together, jaggedfurry (OP) himself is selling plug and play this DIY setup. And I think there's another guy selling it as well. Don't give up guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1997 of 2412 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 06:43 PM
Max
Algae Grower

An alternative needle valve???

NVM, find the answer on page 93
Quote:
As long as one side of the Needle Valve is 1/8 NPT, it will thread onto the ASA On/Off Valve.

Needle Valve comes in 1/8 NPT, 3/4 NPT, 1/2 NPT, 1/4 NPT 1 NPT and so forth. If deciding to not go with the 1/8 NPT, you will need reducers and step-up couplers to make the fitting work. As far as Needle Valve functioning to where you can fine tune, that you will have to experiment with and let us know.
I might look for an alternative needle valve or reducer to fit ASA's 1/8.

Greetings all,

I tried to find the answer through the thread but could not go all 134 pages. The needle valve indicated in the guide are 1/8 x 1/4. I have found and bought Fairview Fittings needle valve (compression) which is being described only as 1/4 (3062-4, 1/4 Tube, 150 PSI).

Under Compression Union

[update] I have read the last twenty pages of the thread which covers the idea of having a regulator on the tank and then ASA + valve. Still the above questions remain unclear.

Might this work or I need something precisely 1/8 x 1/4? I understand that 1/4 is for the tubing. What about 1/8? What is it for? I do not want to open the package to try it as in case this is a wrong piece of hardware I will return it to the shop.

I have found as well the tubing which is precisely Watts SVEB10 so I have no questions regarding this.

Last edited by Max; 06-14-2012 at 06:24 PM.
post #1998 of 2412 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 06:24 PM
Max
Algae Grower

Does anyone still sell stuff related to this thread?
post #1999 of 2412 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 06:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calmia22 View Post
I just setup my paintball co2 and I cannot get it to work right. Either I have so much pressure that it kind of explodes all at once when it comes out or I can't get anything out. I have the needle valve from home depot. This is so frustrating I barely even touch it and it just releases everything.
This should be expected. You are trying to regulate 800 PSI of pressure without a regulator. Even if you replaced the crappy needle valve with a much more expensive needle valve, the bubble count would still drift all over the place as the ambient room temperature changed.

Marineland 26 bow front: https://youtu.be/nuag1sUuAz8

40 gallon breeder (and 20 gallon long): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ta07C0y0nk
10 gallon with PAR30 LED: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rbms5asKmA
post #2000 of 2412 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 06:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
Does anyone still sell stuff related to this thread?
Gosh, I hope not. So far I've only seen tanks destroyed and small injuries with this type of set up. I'm fearing the day that something worse happens to someone.

My advice would be to stay away. It just isn't worth it.

40 gallon breeder (and 20 gallon long): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ta07C0y0nk
post #2001 of 2412 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 11:34 PM
Max
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by galabar View Post
Gosh, I hope not. So far I've only seen tanks destroyed and small injuries with this type of set up. I'm fearing the day that something worse happens to someone.

My advice would be to stay away. It just isn't worth it.
Actually I have already changed my mind as I went to the paintball store and the price for the setup including the regulator is greater than ordering a real regulator with solenoid and then using just the tank adapter to put it on the paintball CO2 tank. So I'll go this route instead. Running a 800-psi tank without regulator does not sound safe and with the regulator it reaches or even outgoes the price of a proper kit.
post #2002 of 2412 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 05:23 AM
Algae Grower

soooo....of the setup on page one..what is missing on there that I would need to buy to keep the paintball tank from shooting off my face or potentially causing a holocaust in my fish tank x.x...?
post #2003 of 2412 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 08:19 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerodynamic View Post
soooo....of the setup on page one..what is missing on there that I would need to buy to keep the paintball tank from shooting off my face or potentially causing a holocaust in my fish tank x.x...?
all i did was get a better needle valve

post #2004 of 2412 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 02:07 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerodynamic View Post
Ideally you should install a regulator - that steps down the pressure from 800psi (in the gas cylinder) to a safer, lower pressure somewhere around 30psi.

In my tank, I have a valve where the CO2 enters the reactor so I can prevent the tank from siphoning when I need to refill my CO2 tank. Last week I took everything apart to clean it, but when I put it back together I forgot to open the valve. The next day I saw my drop checker was showing almost no CO2, and I realized what I did. Since I have a regulator, all that happened was that CO2 built up in the tubing to 30psi (what my regulator output is set at) and stopped flowing. Nothing exploded, nothing popped, nothing broke. If I didn't have that regulator, I'd bet the farm that something certainly would have been damaged at 800psi in the same situation.
post #2005 of 2412 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 07:42 PM
Planted Member

800+psi into a needle valve isn't the greatest idea
post #2006 of 2412 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 01:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

without a reg you need a good nv something that can handle 1000+psi.
thats the only way you can be sure ur safe.
post #2007 of 2412 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 11:30 AM
Algae Grower

Hy everyone.
I have a co2 paintball tank 20 oz, with a solenoid co2 regulator aquatek and the aquatek adapter. everything run perfect until last night when the co2 licking thru adapter hole.
everything is brand new.what could be the problem ?
I attached a picture :

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/...rete/co2-1.jpg

P.S. sorry for my bad english
post #2008 of 2412 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 05:53 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cengherbogdan View Post
Hy everyone.
I have a co2 paintball tank 20 oz, with a solenoid co2 regulator aquatek and the aquatek adapter. everything run perfect until last night when the co2 licking thru adapter hole.
everything is brand new.what could be the problem ?
I attached a picture :

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/...rete/co2-1.jpg

P.S. sorry for my bad english
How long was it running until it started to leak?

What made you check for leak after you had it running without leaks? Did you notice a big drop in psi?

Leak can be probably due to o-ring or the connection point from adapter to regulator since. Did you put a washer in there? Did you tighten with a wrench?

I have the same exact setup as yours. The first aquatek regulator I got leaked from the gauge connection point so I emailed them and they replace it with another one. Now its working perfectly with no leak.

post #2009 of 2412 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 07:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenRC51 View Post
How long was it running until it started to leak?

What made you check for leak after you had it running without leaks? Did you notice a big drop in psi?

Leak can be probably due to o-ring or the connection point from adapter to regulator since. Did you put a washer in there? Did you tighten with a wrench?

I have the same exact setup as yours. The first aquatek regulator I got leaked from the gauge connection point so I emailed them and they replace it with another one. Now its working perfectly with no leak.
Agreed -- probably the o-ring.

post #2010 of 2412 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 08:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I had a lot of problems with my set up It worked great (after buying some parts 2 and 3 times) for about 4 months. I wish I'd just saved up the money and invested in a real CO2 setup. It would have saved me a LOT of hassle.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode