Paintball Co2 Injection DIY Setup with Tons of Photos - Page 129 - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1921 of 2411 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 06:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack25 View Post
Thanks for the pics. ^^^

I can't find any cheap Veriflo IR401 regulators on ebay but there are beer keg regulators for $30 to $40 on amazon. Will they work? I think their input pressure is 3000 psi and they output around 30 psi and they have the over pressure protection at 60 psi.
Any regulator is better than no regulator. However, and this is just my opinion, I would stick with a regulator that has a known Decaying Inlet Characteristic. That way, you know you are safe from the "End Of Tank Dump" issue.

Another regulator to look at is the Victor SR 250, which matches the Veriflo 400 series in this characteristic.

I would suggest browsing for regulators on Ebay and looking up the specs for an regulator you find.

Marineland 26 bow front: https://youtu.be/nuag1sUuAz8

40 gallon breeder (and 20 gallon long): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ta07C0y0nk
10 gallon with PAR30 LED: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rbms5asKmA
galabar is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1922 of 2411 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 10:58 PM
Planted Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 203
Is anyone having trouble finding paintball places that will fill CO2? I was planning on putting together a CO2 system as outlined by the OP since it would be nice and compact. I stopped by a paintball supply store, and was able to buy a used on/off for $5 but they now use compressed air instead of CO2!

I live within a mile of 3 different paintball shops/fields and all of them use compressed air now! ... figures! I'm in central NJ, so I'm not sure if this is the case elsewhere.

I was trying to avoid buying a larger tank for the sake of space, and that the nearest beverage/welding supply is quite far from me to get it filled. But it looks like I may end up having to go this route after all.

If I do end up using a "real" sized CO2 tank (will probably get a 5#), is there any reason I wouldn't be able to just put the same kind of needle valve "downstream" of a standard regulator?

Alternatively, if I get a double gauge primary regulator (like for a kegerator - first gauge gives bottle pressure, the second "output" pressure is user set), do you think I could use that to get the flow low enough for 2-4 bps, or will I still need the needle valve?

If I can't find a local place to fill a paintball tank, I have no use for the on/off. If this ends up being the case, I'll offer it up free for the cost of shipping in the swap forum.
elwray is offline  
post #1923 of 2411 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 11:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwray View Post
Is anyone having trouble finding paintball places that will fill CO2? I was planning on putting together a CO2 system as outlined by the OP since it would be nice and compact. I stopped by a paintball supply store, and was able to buy a used on/off for $5 but they now use compressed air instead of CO2!

I live within a mile of 3 different paintball shops/fields and all of them use compressed air now! ... figures! I'm in central NJ, so I'm not sure if this is the case elsewhere.

I was trying to avoid buying a larger tank for the sake of space, and that the nearest beverage/welding supply is quite far from me to get it filled. But it looks like I may end up having to go this route after all.

If I do end up using a "real" sized CO2 tank (will probably get a 5#), is there any reason I wouldn't be able to just put the same kind of needle valve "downstream" of a standard regulator?

Alternatively, if I get a double gauge primary regulator (like for a kegerator - first gauge gives bottle pressure, the second "output" pressure is user set), do you think I could use that to get the flow low enough for 2-4 bps, or will I still need the needle valve?

If I can't find a local place to fill a paintball tank, I have no use for the on/off. If this ends up being the case, I'll offer it up free for the cost of shipping in the swap forum.
Go to Sports Authority. They will refill your paintball CO2 cylinder.

As for getting the low bubble count that we need, it isn't the regulator that does that. Rather, it is the needle valve. The regulator is used to step down the pressure of the CO2 cylinder to somethine "safe," like 60 psi. You then use the needle valve to restrict flow to the bubbles that you are looking for.

A needle valve like the Fabco NV-55-18 is a good, not too expensive, choice for this.

Marineland 26 bow front: https://youtu.be/nuag1sUuAz8

40 gallon breeder (and 20 gallon long): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ta07C0y0nk
10 gallon with PAR30 LED: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rbms5asKmA
galabar is offline  
post #1924 of 2411 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 11:08 PM
Planted Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by galabar View Post
Go to Sports Authority. They will refill your paintball CO2 cylinder.

As for getting the low bubble count that we need, it isn't the regulator that does that. Rather, it is the needle valve. The regulator is used to step down the pressure of the CO2 cylinder to somethine "safe," like 60 psi. You then use the needle valve to restrict flow to the bubbles that you are looking for.

A needle valve like the Fabco NV-55-18 is a good, not too expensive, choice for this.
I'll give Sports Authority a shot! That is certainly much more conveniently located.

Thanks for the info about the needle valve.
elwray is offline  
post #1925 of 2411 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 05:34 PM
Algae Grower
 
quocviet114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ca
Posts: 53
Can any one show me where do they sell the "ASA on off valve" and the "Gauge" please! I'm looking on the internet but I can't find it! Please help!
quocviet114 is offline  
post #1926 of 2411 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 05:42 PM
Planted Member
 
pglenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Posts: 262
ebay, or just about any paintball store
pglenn is offline  
post #1927 of 2411 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 06:49 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
hbosman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Leesburg Virginia
Posts: 1,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by galabar View Post
Any regulator is better than no regulator. However, and this is just my opinion, I would stick with a regulator that has a known Decaying Inlet Characteristic. That way, you know you are safe from the "End Of Tank Dump" issue.

Another regulator to look at is the Victor SR 250, which matches the Veriflo 400 series in this characteristic.

I would suggest browsing for regulators on Ebay and looking up the specs for an regulator you find.
Good choices. you can run a dual stage regulator on a paintball bottle. Sometimes a Dual stage can be had for the price of a SR 250. I got 2 VTS 250s for $50.00 a few years ago, on ~bay of course.

Here is a picture of one of them. I keep the second as a spare.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/h_bosman/4379697140/
hbosman is online now  
post #1928 of 2411 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 07:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbosman View Post
Good choices. you can run a dual stage regulator on a paintball bottle. Sometimes a Dual stage can be had for the price of a SR 250. I got 2 VTS 250s for $50.00 a few years ago, on ~bay of course.

Here is a picture of one of them. I keep the second as a spare.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/h_bosman/4379697140/
Cool, but you could make that a good deal shorter and significantly lower the center of gravity with one of these:

http://palmer-pursuit.com/cart/index...roducts_id=964

p.s. I want a shot of that back of that regulator to prove its a VTS.

Marineland 26 bow front: https://youtu.be/nuag1sUuAz8

40 gallon breeder (and 20 gallon long): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ta07C0y0nk
10 gallon with PAR30 LED: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rbms5asKmA
galabar is offline  
post #1929 of 2411 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 07:39 PM
Planted Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 203
None of the photos show it for some reason, but I'm assuming all of these regulator adapters have the pin that "opens" the tank, right? I'm sure they do, otherwise it'd be useless ... but I have yet to see a photo showing the "business end" of one of these!
elwray is offline  
post #1930 of 2411 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 07:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwray View Post
None of the photos show it for some reason, but I'm assuming all of these regulator adapters have the pin that "opens" the tank, right? I'm sure they do, otherwise it'd be useless ... but I have yet to see a photo showing the "business end" of one of these!
Yes, the portion of those adapters that connect to the paintball CO2 cylinder have a pin.

Marineland 26 bow front: https://youtu.be/nuag1sUuAz8

40 gallon breeder (and 20 gallon long): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ta07C0y0nk
10 gallon with PAR30 LED: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rbms5asKmA
galabar is offline  
post #1931 of 2411 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 07:54 PM
Algae Grower
 
jack25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Flushing, NY
Posts: 112
What do you guys think of this regulator on Ebay (item 110837133115). I looked at the swagelok website and the max inlet pressure is 3600 psi and the outlet ranges from 0-10psig to 0-500 psi.



http://www.swagelok.com/downloads/We.../MS-02-230.pdf
jack25 is offline  
post #1932 of 2411 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 08:14 PM
Planted Member
 
pglenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Posts: 262
$21.32 shipping? that will easily fit in a medium-flat-rate box and ship for $11.35
pglenn is offline  
post #1933 of 2411 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 08:30 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New England
Posts: 1,116
if using reg on a paintball tank make sure to order some O-ring for the co2 tank.

I ran about 5 o-ring doing test. What suck about using paintball co2 tank is there no On/Off on the tank. you will lose co2 when turning the reg onto the tank. Don't even try to hand tight, wont work. lol

I lost about half a 20oz taken the reg off the tank and back onto the tank for leak testing.

i got the blue adapter for one day only and that thing look 10 yr old already. lol
In.a.Box is offline  
post #1934 of 2411 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 07:34 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Melrose, MA
Posts: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by In.a.Box View Post
if using reg on a paintball tank make sure to order some O-ring for the co2 tank.

I ran about 5 o-ring doing test. What suck about using paintball co2 tank is there no On/Off on the tank. you will lose co2 when turning the reg onto the tank. Don't even try to hand tight, wont work. lol

I lost about half a 20oz taken the reg off the tank and back onto the tank for leak testing.

i got the blue adapter for one day only and that thing look 10 yr old already. lol
Sounds like the pin for the bottle adapter is too long.
I've had bad paintball asa do that to me in the past.
SBPyro is offline  
post #1935 of 2411 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 07:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by In.a.Box View Post
if using reg on a paintball tank make sure to order some O-ring for the co2 tank.

I ran about 5 o-ring doing test. What suck about using paintball co2 tank is there no On/Off on the tank. you will lose co2 when turning the reg onto the tank. Don't even try to hand tight, wont work. lol

I lost about half a 20oz taken the reg off the tank and back onto the tank for leak testing.

i got the blue adapter for one day only and that thing look 10 yr old already. lol
I hand tighten CO2 regulators on to paintball cylinders all the time with no CO2 loss. I also remove then all the time with nothing but the slightest "puff" of CO2 leaking out.

Marineland 26 bow front: https://youtu.be/nuag1sUuAz8

40 gallon breeder (and 20 gallon long): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ta07C0y0nk
10 gallon with PAR30 LED: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rbms5asKmA
galabar is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome