Aquasky-style light riser for Finnex Planted+ - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Digitalfiend

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Aquasky-style light riser for Finnex Planted+

I've been putting together an ADA 30W (Mini S) for my mom's birthday and the Finnex Planted+ light that I'm giving her was interfering with the branch wood and generally making it difficult to interact with the tank (cleaning, etc). I've always wanted to try creating a riser for the Planted+ and decided this weekend would be a good time to give it a shot. I wanted to model the riser after the ADA Aquasky stand so picked up some 12mm acrylic, solvent, sand paper, and a Freud plastics blade for my table saw. I've never worked with acrylic before so there was a bit of a learning curve but, so far, I've ended up with this:

The edges haven't been flame polished yet, but I did sand them down to 2000grit. I made a few mistakes during glue up, mainly from glue dripping or running onto the face of the stand where it marred the surface slightly. I polished those areas as best I could and I'm hoping that I'll be able to clean up the very fine scratches/dull areas with the torch.

The "wings" of the light sit nicely on the top rails with the body fitting into the centre cut out. Since the Planted+ is so bulbous, next time I'd probably rabbet the inner part of the rails so the light sits further down between them.

Once I flame polish the edges, assuming I don't set fire to the piece, myself, or the garage, I'll take some pictures of it on the aquarium. I think it looks pretty good, though just a little thick/bulky as I should have used 9mm acrylic instead of 12mm (which would look perfect on my 90p). I might run out tomorrow and pick up a 9mm sheet and try to make another one.

To be continued.

Update:

Pics of the stand on the tank...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0037.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	708314  

Name:	IMG_0038.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	708322  

Name:	IMG_0039.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	708330  

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	708722  

Name:	IMG_0042.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	708730  

Name:	IMG_0044.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	708746  

ounderfla69 and Econde like this.

Last edited by Digitalfiend; 01-09-2017 at 12:30 AM. Reason: Additional pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 02:54 AM
Algae Grower

That is a gorgeous tank and setup. Nicely done!

"Personally, I would be delighted if there was a life after death, especially if it permitted me to continue to learn about this world and others, if it gave me a chance to discover how history turns out." ~Carl Sagan, Cosmos

"I can't tell you how many people say they were turned off from science because of a science teacher that completely sucked out all the inspiration and enthusiasm they had for the course." ~Neil deGrasse Tyson.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks, appreciate it. I set it up for my mom so she could have a betta at her house when my daughter comes over. Having a bit of trouble with the Monte Carlo at the moment, some brown string algae covering it, but it's only been setup for 3 weeks, so it should stabilize at some point.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 01:35 AM
Algae Grower

This is awesome! I might have to copy you...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode