I've been putting together an ADA 30W (Mini S) for my mom's birthday and the Finnex Planted+ light that I'm giving her was interfering with the branch wood and generally making it difficult to interact with the tank (cleaning, etc). I've always wanted to try creating a riser for the Planted+ and decided this weekend would be a good time to give it a shot. I wanted to model the riser after the ADA Aquasky stand so picked up some 12mm acrylic, solvent, sand paper, and a Freud plastics blade for my table saw. I've never worked with acrylic before so there was a bit of a learning curve but, so far, I've ended up with this:
The edges haven't been flame polished yet, but I did sand them down to 2000grit. I made a few mistakes during glue up, mainly from glue dripping or running onto the face of the stand where it marred the surface slightly. I polished those areas as best I could and I'm hoping that I'll be able to clean up the very fine scratches/dull areas with the torch.
The "wings" of the light sit nicely on the top rails with the body fitting into the centre cut out. Since the Planted+ is so bulbous, next time I'd probably rabbet the inner part of the rails so the light sits further down between them.
Once I flame polish the edges, assuming I don't set fire to the piece, myself, or the garage, I'll take some pictures of it on the aquarium. I think it looks pretty good, though just a little thick/bulky as I should have used 9mm acrylic instead of 12mm (which would look perfect on my 90p). I might run out tomorrow and pick up a 9mm sheet and try to make another one.
To be continued.
Pics of the stand on the tank...