DIY CO2 Experiment - Page 5 - The Planted Tank Forum
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
If we don't add CO2, our tanks are running on about 3 ppm of CO2 from the atmospheric CO2. If we add 3 ppm of CO2 to those tanks we have doubled the CO2 available to the plants. That is a significant change. If we add 5-10 ppm of CO2, it is a major addition. With less than high light you can get very obvious benefits from just 5-10 ppm of added CO2. I have done this with my 65 gallon tank, and was amazed by how much better the plants did.

It is possible that CO2 levels below 30 ppm can encourage BBA. I haven't yet proved that to myself, either positive or negative. So, that is a potential downside to using low levels of added CO2. But, I have no doubt at all that using DIY CO2 on larger tanks, and getting only around 5-10 ppm of CO2 from it, greatly improves plant growth, and is well worth the effort if you don't have high light.
Good to know there is DIY success with larger tanks (like my 60g). As I mentioned previously, the [admittedly shotgun] addition of Excel (fighting BBA), DIY CO2, increased ferts, and slightly increased light is showing excellent results - no question. I'll soon be cutting back some, but so far, I like what I'm seeing!
Econde likes this.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
Tank Journal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 01:55 AM
Wannabe Guru

Something i've discovered as I recently started diy co2 (around thanksgiving so around a month) is that if you use the citric acid and baking soda kit lids https://www.amazon.com/DIY-CO2-Aquar...ywords=diy+co2 only you use it with yeast and sugar, that you can use the "needle valve" to control how much co2 you're adding and in my case it stores a sizeable amount under pressure and it lasts a week to a week and a half before i swap out 1 of 3 bottles.

I also am following the hooch method of diy co2 (my intrest is not in plant growth but what concoctions i can brew up lol) from this thread here so far it's actually fairly decent. Not sure if i'm going to keep it up long term, but in the process I'm getting some beverages and decently accelerated plant growth

If you're into measuring how much co2 you're actually diffusing into the water, besides using the ph drop method you can do a diy drop checker solution of various kh levels (the standard one is 4) and use the chart from this thread for comparison to measure lower levels of co2
post #63 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 02:24 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've got Fleischmann's Yeast but I've wanted to try out some Champagne Yeast and actually have something I can drink after the yeast has finished it's job making CO2.

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
85 gallon stock tank, "pond"
5g low-tech Java Fern jungle.
2.5g +1.2g satellite stream-clay crypt and Fern tank.
20 GallonH Streamsoil dirt tank
Pendant-hooded, LED A19 bulb lighting.
post #64 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I think the 'hobo wine' approach is interesting, but I just never acquired a taste for wine. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a beer (or two) with supper, but I guess I just lack the sophisticated/refined pallet for wine....On the other hand, I might be tempted down the road to use a similar approach to make some hard apple cider! I see there's a special yeast available for cider. Not sure for a 4L container how much sugar to use with the cider - I'm thinking 3 cups instead of 4? But for now, I'll just shoot for a stable, long lasting mix to alternate the two canisters and provide a constant CO2 delivery to the tank.

Current Recipe for 4L (1g) canister:

4c (1lb, 12oz) Sugar
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp yeast
4L~ water

Update: I just ordered some Red Star Champagne yeast that's supposed to hold up longer to the alcohol.

Tank On, Mike-
Tank Journal

Last edited by AbbeysDad; 01-03-2017 at 10:27 PM. Reason: update
post #65 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I replaced all three check valves with new Jardin check valves. When I blow through these new valves to test, they seem less restrictive than the previous chk valves.

The red star champagne yeast arrived. I'm anxious to start a new mix which I just may do a few days ahead of schedule as I see my bubble count is slowing down just a bit to 1 bubble every 2~3 seconds.

Update: I mixed the new batch. I proofed the (1 tsp) champagne yeast separate from the sugar/water mix. It looked good and activated so I poured in and lightly mixed. After testing for over an hour, I'd only get a bubble every 10+ seconds. Hmm. I proofed another 1 tsp of the champagne yeast and added to the mix. Still no joy on the bubble yield test. I heated the mix to 105F, poured back in the canister and added 1/2 tsp bread yeast. The subsequent testing was good at nearly 1 bps. I've got to let this play out but I'm toying with the idea of using 1/2 tsp champagne yeast and 1/2 tsp bread yeast for short/long term CO2 production. My thinking is that as the alcohol kills off the bread yeast, the champagne yeast will keep producing CO2 for a while longer....But I'll need to give the champagne yeast another trial alone just to rule out a batch fluke this time.
Just now I noticed that the new batch was generating about 3 bps and the old batch bubbles had suddenly stopped. I vented the new batch canister so only 1bps was produced and the old batch began producing bubbles again. I guess if one batch is over pressuring the bubble bottle, the other stops.....interesting.
Econde likes this.

Tank On, Mike-
Tank Journal

Last edited by AbbeysDad; 01-09-2017 at 06:34 PM. Reason: update
post #66 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

By the next day, the new mix (Container #1) was generating 3-4 bps. In addition to the other batch (#2) that was still producing 1 bubble every 2 seconds, I felt this was way to fast, delivering too much to the tank (or vent and lose it) and wouldn't last very long. I took it off line, put in a pot and boiled for 5 min to sterilize and kill the yeast. I let cool to 105F and added 1 tsp of champagne yeast and mixed. I setup for a bubble test and did not see any bubbles after an hour or two! Not sure what the deal is with this champagne yeast! It proofs fine, but just doesn't seem to produce gas in the canister like bread yeast. I proofed a 1/2 tsp of bread yeast and added to the mix. Within an hour I was getting 1-2bps so hooked into the system.
I think moving forward I will be using 1/2 tsp champagne yeast and 1/2 tsp bread yeast in my mix. The bread yeast seems to generate better consistent gas early on, but will likely be killed off when the alcohol increases. The champagne yeast is slow to generate CO2, but should live longer at higher levels of alcohol. An on-going experiment I guess.

Tank On, Mike-
Tank Journal
post #67 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 09:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeysDad View Post
By the next day, the new mix (Container #1) was generating 3-4 bps. In addition to the other batch (#2) that was still producing 1 bubble every 2 seconds, I felt this was way to fast, delivering too much to the tank (or vent and lose it) and wouldn't last very long. I took it off line, put in a pot and boiled for 5 min to sterilize and kill the yeast. I let cool to 105F and added 1 tsp of champagne yeast and mixed. I setup for a bubble test and did not see any bubbles after an hour or two! Not sure what the deal is with this champagne yeast! It proofs fine, but just doesn't seem to produce gas in the canister like bread yeast. I proofed a 1/2 tsp of bread yeast and added to the mix. Within an hour I was getting 1-2bps so hooked into the system.
I think moving forward I will be using 1/2 tsp champagne yeast and 1/2 tsp bread yeast in my mix. The bread yeast seems to generate better consistent gas early on, but will likely be killed off when the alcohol increases. The champagne yeast is slow to generate CO2, but should live longer at higher levels of alcohol. An on-going experiment I guess.
Please let us know how a mix of yeast works for you, might be a bit of a solution to the length of time it produces drawback with yeast co2
post #68 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatermusic87 View Post
Please let us know how a mix of yeast works for you, might be a bit of a solution to the length of time it produces drawback with yeast co2
Yes I will. My first batch (whole pkg of bread yeast) lasted just 2 weeks and my 2nd batch only about the same (I expected 3+ weeks from a 4L mix. Given a standard sugar mix (1c per liter) we conclude that more yeast produces a higher bps for a shorter duration and less yeast produces a lower bps for a longer period. But then there's temperature and the alcohol factor. I've also read that there may be value in sterilizing the mix before adding the yeast so I will likely boil the water, mix the sugar and cool to 105F~ and add the yeast.
As for temperature, after I test the 50/50 yeast mix, I just might try using a heat mat (same as used for starting plants) under the canisters to determine the effect. This could take the mix 10F+ above room temperature. Then again, this may just make the yeast slightly more active resulting in a slightly higher bps for a shorter period.
I've read about using raw sugar, molasses along with sugar, corn starch in the mix, as well as using a gelatin mix. I'm not sure how far I want to experiment with these.

The objective of course is to maintain a steady 1bps bubble count for as long as possible. With some overlap of the two containers, this should provide a fairly stable delivery of CO2.

I also need to experiment with my bubble bar at night. I've been running in from midnight to 6am for fear of gassing the fish at night. This may be counter productive in the the little CO2 being added is off gassed every night. Perhaps I'll cut back the time the air pump is on and see what happens?

Then on the tank side, there's the question of light and ferts - I think my head will soon explode! lol

Tank On, Mike-
Tank Journal
post #69 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Canister #2 quit producing on Friday so I prepped a new mix today...

4c sugar (1lb. 12oz)
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp bread yeast
1/2 tsp champagne yeast
4L (1g)~ sterilized water

I boiled the water for 5 minutes to sterilize. I let it cool to about 120F then mixed into the canister with the sugar. I prepped each of the yeasts separately in about 1/2 - 1 cup or so of the boiled water (cooled to @105F) and a tsp of sugar. I let proof until the sugar/water mix had cooled to about 100F. Both proofs looked very active so I lightly mixed into the batch.
I hooked into the system, but after a couple of hours there were no bubbles. When I disconnected from the check valve there was a pressure release. The check valve had stuck so I replaced. After a bit I started getting about 1 bps (about the same as canister #1).
We'll see how long these last.

Note: I do not know if sterilizing the water makes a difference, but in my research, some felt it was important. I have untreated well water and there could be some type(s) of bacteria that might negatively impact the yeast and since sterilizing the water can't hurt, I thought why not do it as a precaution?

Tank On, Mike-
Tank Journal

Last edited by AbbeysDad; 01-16-2017 at 04:24 PM. Reason: update

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode