DIY LED Pendants brainstorming. Multichip? Vero18? help me! - Page 7 - The Planted Tank Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 120 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 03:50 PM
Children Boogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2surplus View Post
Not yet.... still trying to locate and source all the needed components at the best prices. I'm aiming to buy enough leds to build out at least 10 arrays, but the $600 price tag is a bit rich for my blood right now. I've already spent nearly $400 on just the PcB's & stencils alone..... Gotta pace myself
I still need:

Heat sinks designed for Vero 29's ( $27 - $79ea )

Vero 29 reflectors $?

12V/10amp laptop power supplies $?

All components needed for LM4314 led drivers ( approx $60 for each PlantLEDengine )

All components needed for the Controller PcB's $?

other assorted bits $?
I'm willing to buy 2 pendant array PCB from you without all of the components. If you provide a list of components, I can get them myself and solder them on. That should save you some time & money.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 120 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 04:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
I'm willing to buy 2 pendant array PCB from you without all of the components. If you provide a list of components, I can get them myself and solder them on. That should save you some time & money.
Thanks for the offer. I'll reserve a couple for you. Unless you already own an SMD reflow oven, I'd recommend letting me do the soldering. The Luxeon C leds are extremely small (2mm x 2mm) and without an accurate solder stencil to place the paste, would be very difficult to solder successfully.

225 Gal, Glass "Reef Ready" w/ dual Iwaki Pumps & 2 Ocean Clear inline filters. Makers 72" heat sink w/ 12 NanoBox V3 led arrays, custom built CC drivers. All controlled by a BlueFish "mini" Led Controller. iAqua Aquarium Controller , and a 20lb CO2 system w/ Milwaukee Ph Controller.
post #93 of 120 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 05:12 PM
Children Boogie

Quote:
Thanks for the offer. I'll reserve a couple for you. Unless you already own an SMD reflow oven, I'd recommend letting me do the soldering. The Luxeon C leds are extremely small (2mm x 2mm) and without an accurate solder stencil to place the paste, would be very difficult to solder successfully.
Good call. I won't be able to solder something that small.

I just realized an ethernet cable has 8 wires inside. An RJ-45 plug would make a great input/output port for this.

Last edited by mistergreen; 01-10-2017 at 05:26 PM. Reason: +

post #94 of 120 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 06:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampo View Post
those EB strips are interesting...about 1 inch wide...i'm at work and can't jump on spectra but I wounder what the CRI and spectrum of those would look like in a 3 channel setup thinking it might make a cheap option to light a 75 gallon in my basement.

2x5700k strip
1x3000k strip

all mounted into a open box and hung a few inches above the tank.

could also make nice fish room lights setup how moscow guppy is suggesting...hmmm damnit I just figured out my fishroom lighting but I like this option and there reasonably cheap for the lighting...

Also just curious as far as CRI just so I can kinda get my head around it. 80 CRI how does that compare with say a beamswork bar, that really do give a washed out look. are the leds they use similar and around 80 or are they even worse and more toward the 70 CRI?
Think 5700K and 4000K would be a better match unless you really like warm light. The reds are covered equally by the 3000K and 4000K but the 4000K has a better ouput in the cyan area of the spectrum. Lots of greens and yellows in the 4000K as well though.
post #95 of 120 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fissure View Post
Think 5700K and 4000K would be a better match unless you really like warm light. The reds are covered equally by the 3000K and 4000K but the 4000K has a better ouput in the cyan area of the spectrum. Lots of greens and yellows in the 4000K as well though.
thats kinda what I noticed when I dug into the data sheets. really neat product I honestly think it could be a great bang for buck for a simple setup for a lot of people.
post #96 of 120 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

@O2surplus any updates on how the pendent arrays are coming?
post #97 of 120 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 06:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampo View Post
@O2surplus any updates on how the pendent arrays are coming?

I'm making progress. I've got the aluminum Pcb's, and all the driver parts. Now it's just a matter of scrounging up enough cash to buy the leds. Hopefully, I'll be able to sneak a few bucks in the next few weeks to cover those.

Here's some photos of what I've accomplished so far-

The 8 channel led array-

The 8 channel Led Engine-

The BlueFish Mini/WEMOS D1 Mini contoller-

I've tested the controller pcb with either the Bluefish mini or the WEMOS D1 mini installed, and it works very well. I'll update this thread with more info after I've had the chance to get the leds and assemble some of the arrays.
Econde likes this.

225 Gal, Glass "Reef Ready" w/ dual Iwaki Pumps & 2 Ocean Clear inline filters. Makers 72" heat sink w/ 12 NanoBox V3 led arrays, custom built CC drivers. All controlled by a BlueFish "mini" Led Controller. iAqua Aquarium Controller , and a 20lb CO2 system w/ Milwaukee Ph Controller.
post #98 of 120 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 09:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I'm all a-twitter...

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #99 of 120 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 11:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

Does the wemos d1 require the bluefish to function or is it either/or?
post #100 of 120 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 01:34 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It's either one or the other. The WEMOS D1 Mini controls a pca9685 chip with 16 independent LED channels. Think of it as a StormX controller with built in WiFi connectivity. It's soooo we'll connected that I'm able to update it's programming over the air. There's no need for an USB connection, knobs, buttons ECT.. just a few mouse clicks.
post #101 of 120 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
It's either one or the other. The WEMOS D1 Mini controls a pca9685 chip with 16 independent LED channels. Think of it as a StormX controller with built in WiFi connectivity. It's soooo we'll connected that I'm able to update it's programming over the air. There's no need for an USB connection, knobs, buttons ECT.. just a few mouse clicks.
very interested in see more of this. compared to a bluefish which is a pretty friendly interface and has lots of fancy "stuff" are you giving up a lot to go with the WEMOS?

also looks great!
post #102 of 120 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 07:34 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Ahh ok so it runs a local web server with the interface? I assume the interface has to be created from scratch?
post #103 of 120 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 05:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
Ahh ok so it runs a local web server with the interface? I assume the interface has to be created from scratch?
No scratch at all. The software that I'm using has been around for awhile now. It was produced by a Russian fellow that frequents Reef Central's Russian language website. It was a bit of a Pita to get the proper programming software dialed in to flash the ESP initially, but now that I have everything in place it's easy. Here's a link to the GitHub site https://github.com/bbasil2012/SSLAC16 . Here's the ReadMe doc with all the details of what this software can do.

SSLAC16

(actual version 0.36rev0)
Simple&Smart LED Aquarium Controller 16 channels

controled over Wi-Fi via WEB interface. (ESP8266 based)
Why it is “simple”:

You need only 2 components and 5 wires for the full functionality.

Or you can buy from the author full-featured controller PCB (NodeMCU + RTC + PCA9685 + battery compartment)
No need to learn any programming language for micro-controllers.

No need to install on your computer any big and fat development environment, compile the source code, fix it etc. The necessary components are easily accessible.

Very low cost

Why it is “smart”:

version 0.36r0

"To control the light in real time"
16 "time points."

individually for each light control channel. (Total maximum of 256 points)
16 control channels.

Each control channel can specify your own name up to 32 characters (or 16 characters with the use of the national language in the 2-byte character set) That is a multi-language support channel names The color display on the daily schedule can be set and changed by the user. Each channel can be one of two types: -channel light control. -channel control cooling fan.
8 groups of channels. (Yes, now the channels can be randomly scattered on 8 groups)

For each group, you can specify your own name up to 32 characters (or 16 characters with the use by the national language 2-byte encodings), multi-language support group names Each group may contain any number of light control channels (0 to 16) you can assign a "temperature alarm" Each channel group.
8 "temperature alarm"

For each channel group, you can set your own critical temperature and decreasing step dimming values ​​for the channels of the group.
"PlayTime" function

Using this feature, you can see in real time as will appear on your aquarium light at any given time. Functions can be applied both to all channels at once, and to any group of channels.
Mode. "Emergency light"

May use any number of light control channels. Each used channel has individual dimming settings for this mode.
8 temperature sensors tip.DS18x20

Each temperature sensor can control any number of cooling channels and control any number of "temperature alarm"
What do you need to purchase:

1. The module based ESP8266, recommend NodeMCU.
  2. Module on PCA9685.
  3. The power supply - will suit any battery charger from the mobile phone 5V and 300mA.
  4. Optional: module "Real Time Clock" on the PCF8563 or DS3231. (Support for DS1307 RTC also have but I do not recommend to use it)
  5. Optional: temperature sensors type DS18x20.
Updating firmware SSLAC.

We strongly recommend using a program that comes with Arduino IDE for ESP8266 Separately it can be downloaded at various OS here: https://github.com/igrr/esptool-ck/releases
1 .The main firmware:

Latest release can be found there: https://github.com/bbasil2012/SSLAC16/releases/latest

esptool -v -cp "COM-port" -cb 115200 -ca 0x00000000 -cf 0x0-SSLAC16-v0.36rev0.bin
where "COM-port" name of COM port.
For example on my Mac OS X NodeMCU designated as /dev/tty.SLAB_USBtoUART
You need restart your module and after restarting the module in the list of available WiFi networks should appear SSLAC_xxxxxxxx (Where xxxxxxxx - password)
2. Additional file(SPIFFS image)

And now you can upload SPIFFS image by WiFi network from page http://194.168.4.1/rescue or upload all .html and .js files separately (I recomend upload files separately)
Connect to the network module, type http://192.168.4.1 in the address bar and ehjoy
Short video: https://youtu.be/XsKu5m_CHkc

post #104 of 120 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 06:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

Nice thanks. Man that's a lot of channels. I get annoyed with 4 so 16 would drive me nuts.
post #105 of 120 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

thats pretty sweet 02. not as "fancy" as a BLuefish but more powerful in some ways as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode