Cerges' Reactor - DIY Inline CO2 Reactor - Page 22 - The Planted Tank Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #316 of 881 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 03:27 AM
Planted Member

Today was the first day I had the reactor running for a full photoperiod without messing with it - it is definitely working! When I was using the ceramic in-tank diffuser, I was able to get the drop checker to a nice pale green -- I left the CO2 flow rate the same when I hooked it up to the Cerges' reactor.

Came home today to gasping fish and a pale yellow drop checker! Needless to say, the flow rate is now cut back significantly (and added an air line/pump for the night!).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #317 of 881 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 03:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to happi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quesenek View Post
How much did you use?
I just remembered that I basically filled mine up.
1) to reduce the splashing noise, and 2) to make sure there were no ways for the bubbles to escape.

on the 10" it was about 4-5" covered at bottom with sponge and bubbles still escaped. on the 20" i have no sponge in it, some of the previous posters don't have it either and they have good results so far.
post #318 of 881 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 04:18 AM
Wannabe Guru

I'm running about 4 bps into my 20" and I'm not getting any bubbles in the tank. Watching your video I see you have some large bubbles at the top of the reactor jumping around. Those bubbles look like air, not CO2, so I wonder if because you just installed it that the housing hasn't completely purged atmospheric air out of it yet.

I run mine with a Mag-5 pump full out, which is supposed to be 250 gph, and it looks close to that. I have fine bubbles in the housing but they're tiny, almost invisible. Some do actually make it into the uptake pipe, but by the time they reach the spray bar, they've completely dissolved.

I'll try and get you a video as soon as I can get to it. Probably tomorrow night.
post #319 of 881 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 04:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00se View Post
I'm running about 4 bps into my 20" and I'm not getting any bubbles in the tank. Watching your video I see you have some large bubbles at the top of the reactor jumping around. Those bubbles look like air, not CO2, so I wonder if because you just installed it that the housing hasn't completely purged atmospheric air out of it yet.

I run mine with a Mag-5 pump full out, which is supposed to be 250 gph, and it looks close to that. I have fine bubbles in the housing but they're tiny, almost invisible. Some do actually make it into the uptake pipe, but by the time they reach the spray bar, they've completely dissolved.

I'll try and get you a video as soon as I can get to it. Probably tomorrow night.
i did installed it today and after running it i did let all the air go out by turning it upside down while it was running and i waited for all the remaining air to get dissolved before i turned on the co2.

maybe am running it at higher bps. if the mist doesnt stop i will try adding some sponge in there.
post #320 of 881 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 06:08 AM
Algae Grower

I wanted to thank everyone on this thread for this, I also got tired of the 7-Up looking water so I decided to make one last night. Got it hooked up this morning and didn't adjust my co2 and I noticed my drop checker change really quick, it used to take about a couple of hours before it changed to a light green color using my diffuser. I continued to monitor for the next couple of hours and started to notice the drop checker changing to a yellow color and I quickly dialed back the c02. This works really well my plants were pearling like crazy, no more 7-Up looking water, very efficient I went from 5bps to 1bps and quiet.

post #321 of 881 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 06:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00se View Post

still waiting on the video my friend.
post #322 of 881 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 06:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

Ack! Sorry about that! I've been buried at work and OT. I'll get to it tonight promise :-)
post #323 of 881 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 03:36 AM
Planted Member

My interpretation

Thank you to everyone who posted their builds here. Here is my interpretation:

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo2.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	47656

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	47657
post #324 of 881 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 04:58 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by happi View Post
still waiting on the video my friend.
Upping it to utube right now!
post #325 of 881 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 05:00 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCountry View Post
Thank you to everyone who posted their builds here. Here is my interpretation:

lookin good BC!
post #326 of 881 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 07:00 AM
Wannabe Guru

Ok happi,

Here ya go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk08C0Fog-I

Last edited by m00se; 05-18-2012 at 01:43 AM.
post #327 of 881 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 05:46 PM
Planted Member

I just built one of these reactors, I don't have it up yet as I still have to get my co2 tank re-filled. My question is, if I use bio media in the housing, will this add to the biological filtration capacity? It seems to me like it would help, but I haven't been able to find much info on this..

I am using this filter housing:http://www.lowes.com/pd_89378-59019-WHKF-DWHBB_4294822071_4294937087_?productId=1201345&Ns= p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1¤tURL=%2Fpl_Water %2BFiltration%2BSystems%2BFilters_4294822071_42949 37087_%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetIn fo=

Thanks!
post #328 of 881 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 05:51 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by le0p View Post
My question is, if I use bio media in the housing, will this add to the biological filtration capacity? It seems to me like it would help, but I haven't been able to find much info on this..
I don't see any reason, given appropriate bacterial growth surfaces (bioballs/ceramic rings/etc), that the reactor wouldn't add to biological filtration.

Essentially, it's just a canister filter (driven by an external pump instead of internal impeller) so bacterial should colonize if they can find the real estate to make it their home.

The only reason you might want to reconsider aiming for this, is it can end up impeding the flow once it gets gunked up - but if it's placed after the main filter then it should take a while. And if you're using a clear housing like the one you linked to, you'll be able to see when it needs cleaning.
post #329 of 881 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 05:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by le0p View Post
I just built one of these reactors, I don't have it up yet as I still have to get my co2 tank re-filled. My question is, if I use bio media in the housing, will this add to the biological filtration capacity? It seems to me like it would help, but I haven't been able to find much info on this..
That's the large housing isn't it? You might be able to use ceramic media in it and get some bio action that way. I've never seen actual proof that CO2 impedes bacterial growth in the reactor systems. Maybe someone with a bio background can chime in here with some empirical data.

One thing I *do* know is that I bought that exact same filter, and returned it. It's the length of the can that allows gravity to work in your favor when dissolving the gas, not the width. I made the same mistake. Now, if you added media to the can, it *might* help dissolve the gas more efficiently due to eddy currents.

Good luck
post #330 of 881 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 07:29 PM
Planted Member

Thanks! It will be placed after the filter and it's clear so I'll try it out.

m00se, thanks for the info, I'm going to go with it for now as I've already got everything glued up. I'll post back once I get it running as to how efficient it is at dissolving co2.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode