Can you add a pump to the outflow line of a canister filter to increase flow? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Can you add a pump to the outflow line of a canister filter to increase flow?

Say you have a canister filter that has plenty enough filtration for your tank, but you want more flow. Typically people would put a power head in the tank, but I'm trying to reduce the amount of equipment in the tank. So I was thinking, could I just add a pump like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013JPL3Q2...ding=UTF8&th=1 to the outline of the filter? I don't see why not, but I figured I should ask the pros.

This would also be helpful because I'm going to have an inline reactor and inline heater so there's going to be a lot of line that will reduce the normal flow rate from the filter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 02:28 AM
Wannabe Guru

I see a couple issues,
1. that is a submersible pump, you would need an intake barb to put it inline. Some submersibles can be converted so check into them.
2. I think you would have issues with impeller on the canister motor having a higher GPH pump pulling on it on the output side.
May cause cavitation, noise, etc.
With that said ...i'm just guessing because I've never done it.

If you want higher flows, equipment out of the tank, etc. a sump is the best way to go.

+++++++++++++++++++
Just started Nano
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/yo...=view&id=27121
++++++++++++++++++++
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 02:53 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If you really wanted to include a second pump, I'd put a Y on the inflow/outflow pipes (possibly replace them with larger diameter) and go in parallel. I don't think you will be able to push much more water though a canister filter even with a second pump, the resistance and fittings will be too limiting.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 02:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichy View Post
I see a couple issues,
1. that is a submersible pump, you would need an intake barb to put it inline. Some submersibles can be converted so check into them.
2. I think you would have issues with impeller on the canister motor having a higher GPH pump pulling on it on the output side.
May cause cavitation, noise, etc.
With that said ...i'm just guessing because I've never done it.

If you want higher flows, equipment out of the tank, etc. a sump is the best way to go.
I haven't found much good info on co2 injected sumps. I've read you can seal them, but I don't know how much of a process that is, and how maintainable it is if you have to tape it to get a seal.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 691175002 View Post
If you really wanted to include a second pump, I'd put a Y on the inflow/outflow pipes (possibly replace them with larger diameter) and go in parallel. I don't think you will be able to push much more water though a canister filter even with a second pump, the resistance and fittings will be too limiting.
Great idea! Sounds simple enough too.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 03:49 AM
Wannabe Guru

you can do a reactor for CO2 with a sump.

+++++++++++++++++++
Just started Nano
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/yo...=view&id=27121
++++++++++++++++++++
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 04:05 AM
Planted Member

Y not adding another canister filter? Perhaps a smaller one. Can provide extra filtration and flow

Sent from my MX4 using Tapatalk
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 06:30 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have a sump and co2, I don't use much more co2 then when I was using a canister. At most I get a day or two less per tank and there are a few threads on this subject here and most people have noticed similar co2 usage from what I read.

Here fishy fishy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode