How to cut filter media into a cylinder? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

How to cut filter media into a cylinder?

I know these can be bought pre-made but I want a custom size. Trying to take a big 4" x 4" x 12" rectangle foam filter media piece to a cylinder shape like in the picture, which slips over the water pumps inlet.

*photo credit to PL user burr740*

I want it smaller than pictured, maybe 2" diameter or less, then about 3 1/2" long.... but how do I cut a clean smooth circle the whole length of the cylinder?

I'm thinking razor blade and squish it down somehow?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 05:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I might look at Aquaclear quick filter attachment which comes with cylindrical foam insert.
I use these with the aquaclear 70 powerhead and bought extra foam insert's to use as prefilter's for filter intakes,and to swap out dirty insert for clean ones at weekly water change.
Not very expensive for the foam insert's.(can cut easily with sharp scissors)
Fluval offer's a prefilter also but the density is too fine and clog's quickly .
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 06:42 AM
Wannabe Guru

Fluval has one that's a smaller prefilter that's about the dimensions you're looking for and also very inexpensive
https://www.amazon.com/Fluval-A1387-.../dp/B002LL32RY

If you're looking to do it yourself, make sure you have open cell foam so water can move through it, and if you get the foam damp then freeze it, it becomes much easier to work with tools and a hole saw and drill will likely do the trick
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 09:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Hmm,
Just tried to google Aquaclear quick filter attachment and all that is shown is the polishing insert which you don't want for the purpose stated.
Mine came with the black foam insert and I might have bought the replacement's at BigAl's online (can't remember).
PM me with address, and I will send you a spare I have lying around (no charge),
if you can't make or find something else.
I even have a couple of the fluval prefilter's you could try but the foam was not porous enough for my use.(Petco).
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 02:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Some reason it requires round?
Sounds like it's making a simple move difficult. I like the AC sponge for the right pore size and cut a slot with a knife so it will slip over the intake.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well I ordered that Fluval dense foam sponge theatermusic87 suggested, for another tank that might have fry in the future. Gonna try freezing it and cutting it in a bit. Thanks for the suggestions everyone. It's definitely large open cell, razor blade is making it all jagged. I think all my hole saws are for wood though. I'll do my best.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode