Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baton Rouge, la
DIY co2 question
I've been running diy co2 for a couple years now and never had a problem. But a couple days ago apparently one of my kids/ ol' lady nieces, nephews..etc. knocked my 2 liter bottle over. I have a check valve to stop water from coming up out the tank through the tubing from my reactor but nothing to stop the yeast mixture from coming down the tube and entering the tank. So half the bottle went into the tank, but funny thing everybody was acting normal. I did a 40-50% water changes and redose my liquid ferts. Easter day when i turned my lights on the whole tank was cloudy and all the fish were at the surface gasping for air. I lossed 2 amano shrimp, 1 neon tetra, and 3 rummynose tetras. Im guessing the cloudy water is a bacteria bloom from the dead fish being in there for hours. But what im trying to figure out, since i didn't refill the diy co2 bottle, it being only being half full produced more than enough co2 to overdose the tank? the half full bottle didn't even cross my mind, because i was pissed about somebody knocking it over in the first place.
I also did another 50% water change when i found all the fish dead and the cloudy water, i raised my spray bar to create more surface movement, and added a air stone. I came home today after work and tested the water for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.
nitrate- 0-5 (api test kit, color came out dark yellow)
Water still cloudy, im thinking its going to clear on its own, but if anybody has suggestion im open to them especially about when i left the bottle as is and it overdose the tank with co2.