DIY Urethane Foam Filter Dividers - The Planted Tank Forum

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Kubla
  • 1 Post By Bandit1200

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

DIY Urethane Foam Filter Dividers

Hello everyone, My first post since joining months ago. I purchased a 2' x 3'- 2" thick piece of cushion foam today from Walmart. I have been looking for dividers on the internet and most people say go with Swiss Tropicals filter foam. I looked up the pricing and for about the same size piece I'm looking at about 80 bucks for a similar size give or take including shipping. The piece I bought was $15.

So my questions. Has anyone used 100% urethane as a divider? Is it toxic or not worth it? Every time I google: "Urethane" foam filter online is just shows me info about polyurethane. Thank you for your time.

Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 02:17 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

If you google "urethane foam vs polyurethane" you'll actually come up with a lot of hits. This is probably all that you need though.
"Polyurethane has been tested and is found that it is not toxic to handle the products in normal conditions. Urethane is acutely toxic to smaller animals like rats and rabbits. The compound does not have any odor but a bitter taste. Some people get nausea after consuming medicines with urethane content in it. If urethane is applied on the skin or administered orally, it is reported to have caused cancer in the smaller animals."
MCSLABS likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 04:42 PM
Planted Member

Also, a lot of the cushion foams have various flame retardant chemicals in them. I have some of the poret foam from swiss tropicals, its good stuff, you can rinse it out pretty effectively; it should last years.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 04:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I always use generic Chinese poret foam or aquarium foam found online. No issues thus far. I've also used all sorts of filter refill foams and even automotive filter foam replacement foam without issue.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you for all the replies. I will definitely return the urethane foam. Any chance you have the company name for the company that sells the chinese poret foam Freemananana?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 11:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Another thing to consider is what type of cell is that foam, open or closed cell. If it is closed cell ( I think it is) you'd have a real hard time getting it down in the water. All of our aquarium type foams are open cell foam.
MCSLABS likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode