Replacing LED'S - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 04:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Replacing LED'S

Hi folks,

I am needing some LED help and I hope someone can give me some assistance.

I have been trying to get in touch with the manufacturer of this LED light to find out the specifics of the LED emitters, so I can puchase my replacements...no luck

This light is meant for Saltwater, so I need to change out some of the LED's.

With this said, how do I know what to change them out to? Watts etc. I know I can measure the LED'S to make sure I have the correct size when replaced.

I have attached a photo of the LED's that has my crude handwriting on it, so you can see what I am talking about.

Here is what the light currently has:

4) Cree XP-G2 Cool White (> 70 CRI)
(1) OSRAM OSLON Deep Red
(1) Cree XP-E2 Green
(3) Cree XP-E2 Blue
(2) OSRAM SQUARE Deep Blue
(1) SemiLED 415nm Violet
(1) SemiLED 405nm UV

I would like to change:

Cool white to warm white

These I don't know what to change them to, just plant growth specific LED's:

I would like the Blues to match

Green to something else.

Violet to something else.

UV to something else.

I will not have a problem reflowing the LED's, but I just don't know what to purchase
:/

Thank you for your time and help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-04-01 23.08.12.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	620049  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 01:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

opps mis-read..

Which AI??
http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/30238...leds-and-more/
anyways hunt both nano-reef and reef central.. They are always doing that "stuff"..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

Last edited by jeffkrol; 04-14-2016 at 02:00 PM. Reason: edit
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hi Jeffkrol,
It is the AI Prime.
I read the link and others I could find, but I am still unsure what LED's to purchase :/
Thank you for your time

Last edited by heel4you; 04-14-2016 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Edit
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 05:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by heel4you View Post
Hi Jeffkrol,
It is the AI Prime.
I read the link and others I could find, but I am still unsure what LED's to purchase :/
Thank you for your time
didn't we go through this before?
anyways, short of finding ind. diodes just get one of these in 3000k

Replace the 3 xp-e blues..You could stick them one this now empty star.. as a "moonlight"..
Cree XLamp XP-E2 White LED

Really, anything else is optional and frankly unnecessary.. like changing the xp-g2 to a neutral white..which is a fair idea..
You have deep blue to purple left and deep red..

http://www.ledsupply.com/leds/xp-g-emitters
4 or 5000k.. suggest 4000k
Not the cheapest but one stop shopping...

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thank you Jeffkrol.
Yes, we spoke about this before.
I was still confused about what to buy...size, wattage etc. When looking through all of the LED options, I was feeling confused and overwhelmed by all of the choices and I did not want to make a mistake.
This was my reasoning for this post and I could also post the photo of the LED'S in the post, which I could not in our previous conversation.
I would like to replace the blues with the correct cyan color for plants.
I don't need the green or UV, so I was hoping someone could direct me to the proper replacements for these....maybe a proper red etc.
Should the white be neutral or warm?
Thank you very much for your time and patience.

Last edited by heel4you; 04-14-2016 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Mispelling
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 08:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by heel4you View Post
I don't need the green or UV, so I was hoping someone could direct me to the proper replacements for these....maybe a proper red etc.
Should the white be neutral or warm?
Thank you very much for your time and patience.
I'd leave the UV and violet since all white led are deficient in this and the "color" is fairly high PAR. though not really measurable w/ "correct" PAR meters.

LED "footprints" are pretty much all different. You can only "easily" replace within the same family.. As such AFAICT you have zero cyan replacements for the green..
The red is "proper"..
Semi LED are "similar" to luxeon rebel footprint pattern, as long as 1) dimensions fit and 2)they don't reverse polarity.
There seems to be little "market" for bare diodes AFAICT as well.
http://www.semileds.com/system/files...-catalogue.pdf
Besides their drive current is low i.e around 350mA.
In a cynical tone, they will burn out soon anyways..
so besides the cyan I pretty well gave you all the pertinent mods necessary..

Why remove the uv/violets???

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 03:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

@jeffkrol
Thank you.
The only reason I thought to change out the Violet and UV, is because....I thought I did not need them :/ I thought maybe replacing with other proper colors for plant growth would be nice, if needed.
So, to be clear, you are saying:
1. I have no options for another color to replace the green? If I do, what color would you recommend? Different red??
2. Should I be keeping the cool white (instead of replacing with warm white) since the UV and Violet are keepers?
As I said before, this light is going to be used with my Kessils for mostly accent lighting. But, if I had to use it in conjunction with the Kessils, I would like it to be as close to the correct plant growth spectrum as possible.
Each color on this light has its own channel (7) and can be independently dimmed etc. as I see fit. So, I would like each channel to benefit plant growth if need be and can be.
I hope I have made sense
Thank you for your time Jeff. You are a great help for someone like me, that has no knowledge of how to purchase these LED's correctly.

Last edited by heel4you; 04-16-2016 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Edits
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 04:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

The Kessil goes from 6000-9000k white.. No "colors" no warm white" low red..
1)IF and that is a very BIG if you could replace the green you would go w/ a cyan.. Cyan is a "short" color in almost all white LED except for a very few that, AFAICT you couldn't use anyways..
So unfortunately you are stuck w/ the green..Yes you could substitute the green w/ a "normal" CREE red..but it is more of a judgement call. Keeping the green keeps you w/ an "additive" to cut the deep blue.. Any RGB =W
Green is the photosynthectically weakest channel but still usable..
2) Purple and "UV" are OK photosynthetically..and may even enhance red pigment production.. like a suntan..

There is zero reason not to replace cool whites w/ whites that are lower in K than your Kessil..
And the lower the white the more red, which as I said, is lacking in the Kessil AFAICT.

Plants will adapt to any available light spectrum for the most part..

There is no one correct way really.. and your starting product doe have limits...

Just doing the 4000/3000K substitution will turn the AI into a fine, though not perfect exactly, stand alone plant light.
OR a compliment to the Kessil..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode