Thickness question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thickness question

I was lucky and found a 210 gallon tank on CL for $200. There are two big cracks on the bottom pane. One was fixed with another piece of glass siliconed over it. The other just had silicon smeared on it. Obviously, I'm going to replace that glass. I have the tank mostly taken apart already, but noticed that the bottom pane is 3/4" whereas the rest is 1/2". I plan on going rimless on the bottom so the bottom pane will sit flat on some Styrofoam on the stand.

What is the proper way to calculate the required thickness? 3/4" seems excessively thick. Wouldn't 1/2" work fine since it will be sitting flat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 12:51 AM
Wannabe Guru

The bottom panes are thicker because I believe that they need to hold the weight of hardscape and substrate, as well as having all the water pressing down on it. I think it is also thicker because it wont crack as easily if you drop a rock or something into the tank. Just a guess.

A 15-year old that faces parental opposition in this hobby

55g High-Tech
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 12:15 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

1/2" shouldn't be an issue as long as it sits level and flat.
my 265 gal is constructed completely out of 1/2" but it does have braces at the top of the tank, and the bottom pane is made out of 2 pieces.
the builder of my tank told me that the 2 pieces were to account for any minute twist in the frame which isn't absorbed by the Styrofoam.

I might be dutch but I don't have a dutch scape.

the tank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode