Nano regulator build for pressurized CO2 - (shown on a Fluval Edge) - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 05:47 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuonor View Post
I can't view the pics.
Here are the pics:

EPC #329 - VPC #59
Marina Style20
20L - P. axelrodi, C. macracanthus, H. ocellifer, T. albonubes "gold", Stiphodon sp. gobies, Sailfin mollies
16BF - T. albonubes "gold", A. dolichopterus, Ps. gertrudae "Aru II"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 04:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

Has anyone else built one of these systems? I picked up some of the Leland regulators at a great price and plan on building one of these for myself.

Is there any end of tank dump with these?
Has anyone found an adapter to use these with a paintball tank?
The shipping for the ADA cup stand was pretty steep. Has anyone found any alternatives?
post #33 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yikesjason View Post
Is there any end of tank dump with these?
I have gone through 2 tanks so far, ran them empty and no fauna died (6 gallon tank w/ CPDs, CRS and b. brigittae). So if there is a dump, its not enough to elevate the CO2 to scary levels

Quote:
Has anyone found an adapter to use these with a paintball tank?
Here's one: http://airgraver.com/images/co2-bottles.jpg. I've heard this guy won't sell parts to people who don't own an airgraver, but worth a shot (perhaps he can just tell you what threading is on each end of the adapter he sells)

Quote:
The shipping for the ADA cup stand was pretty steep. Has anyone found any alternatives?
Haven't found any. Hole saw and a small block of wood would work (that's what I was going to do before I determined the ADA stand would fit.

6g Fluval Edge journal
45g ADA 90p (early days)
2g Do!Aqua cube (unplanted for now)

Edge Tuning: 26W lighting conversion - concealed pressurized CO2 - HOB CO2 injection - nano HOB heater - lunar lights
post #34 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 05:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

I talked to Jeff and he offered free shipping on the stand cups, so that makes it a lot easier.

I read about the airgraver guy not selling to non-customers before, but I didn't see where that was posted on the web page anymore. I used to work at a plastics machine shop and could have turned an adapter there. Maybe I should stop by and visit my old boss.

Has anyone tried the 88g canisters that are 4 for $6? With shipping they come out to $4 each, a pretty good deal. Link They are taller, so it wouldn't work for people trying to fit them in the edge housing, but it would still fit in the cup stand.
post #35 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
I talked to Jeff and he offered free shipping on the stand cups, so that makes it a lot easier.

I read about the airgraver guy not selling to non-customers before, but I didn't see where that was posted on the web page anymore. I used to work at a plastics machine shop and could have turned an adapter there. Maybe I should stop by and visit my old boss.

Has anyone tried the 88g canisters that are 4 for $6? With shipping they come out to $4 each, a pretty good deal. Link They are taller, so it wouldn't work for people trying to fit them in the edge housing, but it would still fit in the cup stand.
Found this thread on a beer forum about adapting this regulator to a paintball canister...if you have the capacity to do some simple machining, check out this diagram.

On the 88g carts I had considered that originally (before I realized it wouldn't fit in the back compartment of the Edge)...but Williams Brewing advises against these carts. I don't know if they are just trying to force you to buy the razor blades from them, but they claim the regulator will clog. Read more here.

6g Fluval Edge journal
45g ADA 90p (early days)
2g Do!Aqua cube (unplanted for now)

Edge Tuning: 26W lighting conversion - concealed pressurized CO2 - HOB CO2 injection - nano HOB heater - lunar lights
post #36 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 07:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Nice, clean, compact.
post #37 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 08:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Found this thread on a beer forum about adapting this regulator to a paintball canister...if you have the capacity to do some simple machining, check out this diagram.

On the 88g carts I had considered that originally (before I realized it wouldn't fit in the back compartment of the Edge)...but Williams Brewing advises against these carts. I don't know if they are just trying to force you to buy the razor blades from them, but they claim the regulator will clog. Read more here.

I did see that beer thread. I used to work at a machine shop where I could have turned that piece.

I had not seen that warning on the 88g cylinders. I already ordered 4 of the 88g, so I will go ahead and use them anyways. Airgraver recommends the 88g. I don't know, I will try it and see.
post #38 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 08:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

I build mine, I really like having the Fabco needle valve. I have no problem adjusting the bubble count as low as I could want. The 88g cartridge was tricky to attach.

This is the one I am using, and you can see that the threads don't come all the way to the end. The section without threads is too long to get the threads started into the Leland without piercing the cartridge.

The threads on the Leland are removable. So what I did was partially unscrewed the threads from the regulator, then I had enough clearance to start the cartridge threading into the socket. I lost some co2 before I got it all tight, but that was because I started to panic when I heard it leaking instead of hurrying to finish tightening.

post #39 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 08:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That's awesome, nice work. Got a picture of it in the edge?

EDIT: Nevermind, saw it reading back through. That's why you always start from the beginning.

75g North American Natives Riparium | 20 Long Riparium | Mr Aqua 7.5 Cube Paludarium | Zoo Med Nano Tall & Small Tall Vivariums
Fraternity of Dirt #168
post #40 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 04:52 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
I can't view the pics. But y, if you have a 1/4" swagelok (say the SS-SS4A like I bought from you) you need tube fitting adapters such as a SS-2-HC-A-401 (stainless) or B-2-HC-A-401 (brass) to attach it directly to 3mm tubing. You can buy stuff directly from Swaglok they just stuff you with a crazy handling charge to ship. Fortunately they're (somewhat) local for me.

I've seen people directly connect tubing to the 1/8" swageloks (like a SS-SS2) without barbs, but haven't done it myself. There are also tube fitting adapters for those size needle valves. I do know you cannot attach 3mm tubing directly to the 1/4" fittings.

Turns out if you want to attach a swagelok valve to a solenoid or regulator you can get a B-4-TA-7-2 adapter which takes you from the 1/4" swagelok tube fitting to a standard 1/8" NPT female.
So you said you just hooked up the swagelok directly to the tubing a few posts before, and here it looks like you can also use an adapter? How do you have everything setup? I have all the parts from your first setup, and the swagelok, but still am scratching my head as the best way to hook everything up.

Just a quick note. I was using the grey ADA tubing to try and hook up the Swagelok, and the tube is too small from what I can see. I guess that is what you mean by "you cannot attach 3mm tubing directly to the 1/4" fittings."

Last edited by sammyman; 05-23-2010 at 11:15 PM.
post #41 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 09:04 PM
Algae Grower

I wound up getting two barbs from swagelok locally. They charged me $10 a barb! Hopefully it is all worth it.
post #42 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 09:24 PM
Algae Grower

Just a quick update. The SS-2-HC-A-401 don't seem to work with this CO2 setup. I was running less than 5psi and it was leaking at the barbs. Is there some trick to keep this from leaking?

post #43 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 11:32 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyman View Post
Just a quick update. The SS-2-HC-A-401 don't seem to work with this CO2 setup. I was running less than 5psi and it was leaking at the barbs. Is there some trick to keep this from leaking?
Maybe you could use metal hose clamps or plastic ties.

EPC #329 - VPC #59
Marina Style20
20L - P. axelrodi, C. macracanthus, H. ocellifer, T. albonubes "gold", Stiphodon sp. gobies, Sailfin mollies
16BF - T. albonubes "gold", A. dolichopterus, Ps. gertrudae "Aru II"
post #44 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 11:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Is it leaking from the threads that hold the barbs in? You need to use pipe compound or teflon tape on the threads to seal it. If leaking over the tube, then a small pipe clamp.
post #45 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 12:17 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by over_stocked View Post
Is it leaking from the threads that hold the barbs in? You need to use pipe compound or teflon tape on the threads to seal it. If leaking over the tube, then a small pipe clamp.
I tried zip ties with no luck. Picked up the smallest hose clamp from Home Depot, but it looks too big. Where can you get 1/8" hose clamps?

Tags
co2 advance, co2 regulator, fluval edge, nano

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode