The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Frank's Planted Tank How-To Mini Novel - The Mini S Returns! New Layout
View Single Post
post #813 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 02:54 AM
Wannabe Guru
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 1,571
Originally Posted by @marko@ View Post
unless he was traveling for over 2 days, i dont think it was NH3 poisoning. honestly, bettas are particularly resilient to NH3 and NO2, likely in part due to having really sh*tty gills (which is where these toxins enter the fish).
and they tend to be hardy with acclimation too.
if he died a week later, i would bet parasites. fish can live with parasites for years without any symptoms, but after a major stressor (like shipping) they cant handle the parasite load anymore and die.
what i do when i ship bettas, is put a drop of Prime in the bag. it binds out NH3 for 24-48 hours, so usually there is 0 NH3 when the fish arrives. i will also add a drop upon first opening a bag of a fish shipped to me, to neutralize any NH3 that may have accumulated so the poisoning stops instantly, and not 40 min later when i finish acclimating.

Oh? Maybe that is why he was so small compared to his spawn sisters?!? Parasites.
SpecGrrl is offline  
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome