The Planted Tank Forum banner

Doesn't the dirt get messed up when planting?

Tags
mess soil
2K views 12 replies 13 participants last post by  Zefrik 
#1 ·
So, I have been thinking about setting up my tank with dirt instead of just sand. I really want to grow some nice groundcover. :) I do like to change my plants around when I cut them, and I have plenty of fast growing stem plants.

My question here is, How do you keep the dirt from making a mess when you take plants out and replant? Does the cap keep the dirt under it from running amuck? Do you just decide not to replant once you have initially planted everything?

Anyway, these are some of my first questions :p I'll probably have plenty more!!

Thank you all!

#9 ·
The short answer is, you don't. Dirt pulls up with the roots and makes a mess. Dirt is incredible, but not made for the habitual rescaper.
Very well put :smile: I prefer to set it and forget it.
I've heard leaving roots to decompose in the substrate isn't a good thing. Can someone explain this to me or did I just get the wrong info?

Sorry for the slight hijack ;)

Sent from my fingers
Only a problem if taken to extremes.
Topping a large sword plant and leaving the entire core and root ball would be very risky. Removing that same sword and cutting out the root ball leaving only the branching roots is not an issue.

Topping stems down the the first or second node creates a little bush as the trimmed plant grows in.
Topping and removing the lower stem sections done slowly doesn't create a huge mess.

Removing / moving larger established crypts is hard :redface: and a large water change after is a good idea.

HTH

#6 ·
Dirted tanks are not for everyone. They are best for people who do not intend on uprooting their plants, trimming off the tops, and replanting the tops. Doing that with a dirted tank on a regular basis would create a big mess.

For a person who likes to move plants around and wants to grow a lot of fast growing stems, I think a dirted tank would be a nightmare. I think it would be much better to use a different substrate for that type of tank.

#7 · (Edited)
Dirt will eventually work its way back down under the gravel even if it does get pulled up. Small particles work their way down under big particles. There is a good physics reason why that is always so, but I don't know the details. And, you can also just cut off the plants at the substrate line, and leave the rooted stump to disintegrate on its own. Some of my plants have been able to work their way up out of the substrate by themselves, so clearly you can slowly pull many plants out without a cloud of dirt following them.

#10 ·
Planting is not that messy, its uprooting. Planting when done properly, leaves little to no mess. If you cap with sand ( the only cap you should use with dirt ) it will follow through has you push the root down into the dirt. On your way up, wiggle the tweezers a bit so the sand covers the hole. You should have little to no dirt come up. Now uprooting its another story, I uproot only when Im resetting tanks
:)

#12 ·
Planting is not that messy, its uprooting. Planting when done properly, leaves little to no mess. If you cap with sand ( the only cap you should use with dirt )
:)
I agree with your reply except for sand being the only cap you should use part. Small grain pea gravel works very well. I think it is sold under the name river pebbles or something, but its the smallest grain size pebbles/ pea gravel pet stores sell.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.