The Planted Tank Forum banner

Another guy... Another 12g long... Another DSM... Another filled

40K views 143 replies 47 participants last post by  Powerclown 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone!

Here is my first rimless tank. I don't alway have time to photograph it but i'll try to keep updating it.

Tank: Mr. Aqua 12g Long
Substrate: AS Amazonia and powder
Hardscape: Seiryu stones
flora: HC, fissidens fontanus, mini pelia, Micranthemum Umbrosum, and some others.

I wanted to create an aquascape of two islands with some kind of story behind it. Unfortunately I can't think of one and maybe someone else will be inspired by this scape to write one.

But on to some pics.

FTS 52512

Right side

Left side

I didn't really like the right side because the stone was so huge. I found two stones to replace them.

Right side(new stones)

Left side

Thanks for looking!

Aloha!

See less See more
#53 ·
CPD prices???

Tonight I went to the H.A.S. (Honolulu Aquarium Society) meeting/auction. One of the items up was a bag of 3 CPDs(Celestial Pearl Danio/Galaxy Rasbora) that started at $!0. CPDs are a rare find in Hawaii and I told another member

"I bet this will be the highest money maker".

He looked at me funny and asked "do they get any bigger?"

I said "no, that's full grown". Most of the members are cichlid breeders.

When the auction item 150 came up, there were three of us bidding... and long story short, the CPDs went for $53 and swam home with someone else.

Should I have gone to $60($20 a fish)? Would you pay more for these? Anyone got some for sale?

Thanks!

Kai

#54 ·
Tonight I went to the H.A.S. (Honolulu Aquarium Society) meeting/auction. One of the items up was a bag of 3 CPDs(Celestial Pearl Danio/Galaxy Rasbora) that started at $!0. CPDs are a rare find in Hawaii and I told another member

"I bet this will be the highest money maker".

He looked at me funny and asked "do they get any bigger?"

I said "no, that's full grown". Most of the members are cichlid breeders.

When the auction item 150 came up, there were three of us bidding... and long story short, the CPDs went for $53 and swam home with someone else.

Should I have gone to $60($20 a fish)? Would you pay more for these? Anyone got some for sale?

Thanks!

Kai
The CPDs at my LFS are only $4-5 :biggrin:

#60 ·
What to do while waiting for your plants to fill...

I'm still waiting for a few things before I fill my tank. My 6 year old son recently got into LEGO and thought it would be a good idea to make forest/jungle scene.

It's the Clones vs Droid Army

Possible time travel??? I don't know where those storm troopers came from.

Clones Down. Medic!!

I didn't have time to include the blaster fire/laser. Enjoy and Thanks for looking.

#63 ·
Thanks! yeah I think i'll keep him. lol

ha ha ha love the lego theme.... and those disney pics are very inspiring, i would love to see any of the builders tanks if they keep any ...
They actually have a salt water pool/tank where you can snorkel with the fishes... for only $45 a day per person. A little too expensive for me. I'll just go to the beach. But I should have took pictures of that tank. Maybe the next time I go.

#64 ·
star wars, planted tanks, and legos? parenting done right. you better keep that kid.

are you keeping the storm troopers in there when you flood? kidding, but nice growth update. This is turning out to be so awesome.

on a side note, that's nuts that the CPDs go for that much. Oh well. At least the club benefits. So much cheaper on the internet though... even so, they don't seem like that great of a fish. They don't school nicely, they are very timid, they eat shrimplets, and are prone to jumping. Doesn't sound like a good buy to me.

#66 ·
Thanks! I did find some CPDs at Aquascapes last week. So far most of them are schooling around with my other fish. Only 2 out of 8 are hiding in the back. I also bought some Emerald Rasboras... I think I like their color better than the CPDs and so far no one has jumped. :)

haha, love the pictures with the legos in it, great progress! your HC is filling in much faster than mine!
Thanks! I always wanted to do a Legoscape(maybe in the next tank). My HC usually grows upward and I trim it and spread it around the open spots. I think it's the high humidity in my area that helps it out. Your tank is looking Great! I have to try UG one of these days!

#72 ·
Not much to update but I will be flooding soon. The lfs is having an exhibit/contest that I might enter, if this tank is ready. Oh, I did add another stone to the right side(it's in the back).

I also have to choose my fauna. So far it's either going to be a betta or threadfin. Any other suggestions?

Here's a pic of the new stone and my choice of fish for now. Enjoy!

My Threadfin Rainbow fish

My only clear pic of him flaring...

My Betta (Sorry, I was too lazy to get a better angle)

#80 ·
:( Well I wish I could say that I was flooding my tank too. But I ran into a some issues. My son's soccer season started and I neglected the tank for a couple of days. I guess it was too hot and some of the HC melted... Then I put too much water to compensate and again neglected the tank. I got some algae on the substrate and took it out. I guess I have to wait a little while more. Maybe this tank will get filled before October. I was planning to enter it in a contest happening on the second week of October, but it's not looking good. It's a good thing I have a back up.

My Back up tank always in dsm. I just need a regulator for a paint ball C02.

#83 ·
Ooppps... I haven't updated this in a awhile...

Well, I went to DisneyLand for a week and no one was taking care of the tank. So it sort of dried up. :( My bad. I pulled out the brown roots and dead plants and started to spread more HC. I also pulled out a rock and replaced it with better one that I found. My new plan is to have it root for another week then just flood it. I'll try to get new pics of the tank this week.

#87 ·
It is DSM (Dry Start Method) I think they root attach itself if I am right.
Thanks! I put some aquasoil power on the top of that stone, then put the HC on it. It did stick to the rock durning my test flood but I'm not sure how it will do in the long run.

I really like the texture of the new stone, but it'll take a couple of years to find some matching ones. Anyone know how to make fake Seiryu stones?

#90 ·
Urge to Flood

I decided to work on this tank today since I had extra time. I found a bag of ADA powder and filled in the holes and covered some of the HC. Next, for some reason I had the desire to see the tank finally flooded... I filled it up slowly with plastic bags over the hardscape and substrate. OMG, it was Beautiful! Pearling everywhere and the little bubbles on the fresh powder. Although the HC isn't even close to carpeting, I'm just going to watch it grow.

One bad thing about flooding is the algae that I thought I got rid of is back on the substrate. I don't know if it's just BGA because this one is a really nice shade of forest green. I tried to remove a lot of it manually but I'll see if it spreads tomorrow and try to take a picture of it.

Thanks for looking!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.