The Planted Tank Forum banner

What is the hardest plant you have ever grown or attempted to grow?

5K views 40 replies 35 participants last post by  John Simpson 
#1 ·
C'mon, don't be shy, I won't make fun of any plants that you think are hard to grow. My hardest plant? Well, I only keep low light stuff, so I don't really qualify to tell which one's hardest for me. Post what your hardest is here!!

#40 ·
+2 on rotala macrandra. I've bought it from 3 different people on tpt. It is the only plant that never looks healthy when I get it. It never grows whatsoever. It has always just seemed to disappear. I have grown lots of other "hard to grow plants with little to no issues. What's the deal with this stuff. I've put it in multiple tanks, multiple different situations with no luck.

What's the trick? I have a feeling Tom knows ;)
I'm so glad I'm not the only one that has a hard time with this plant. I have planted it several times and within a couple of weeks it melts away to nothing.
Maybe you should try mine :icon_wink
You definitely have some nice macrandra OVT. The nicest looking out of all the times I have bought it but I still found a way to kill it. That plant just doesn't like me or my tank. Maybe some day I will try my nemesis again.

#15 ·
The bag is came in said Cardinalis but i haven't been able to find another picture of the stuff. At any rate it went from.

To one plant thats got 4 tiny tiny leaves left and should be completely dead within the next month. I've done well with everything else.

#20 ·
Dwarf hairgrass ! I just can't get that stuff to grow upright , it just bends down and looks terrible instead of growing upright like a lawn !

#21 ·
My luck with hornwort is miserable

I got a nice healthy clump, next day, all the stems shed their leafs at the same time......such a mess to clean up

Currently, my difficult plant is my Red Cambodia, but my list of things I am going to attempt that I probably shouldn't attempt will be growing soon.

#25 ·
+2 on rotala macrandra. I've bought it from 3 different people on tpt. It is the only plant that never looks healthy when I get it. It never grows whatsoever. It has always just seemed to disappear. I have grown lots of other "hard to grow plants with little to no issues. What's the deal with this stuff. I've put it in multiple tanks, multiple different situations with no luck.

What's the trick? I have a feeling Tom knows ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.