The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Suga Shack - 55 gallon - Where is my algae hiding? :( (56K)
View Single Post
post #2943 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 05:40 PM
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by @marko@ View Post
they often seem to enjoy squeezing themselves into tight spaces. i have had several who would spend a lot of time wedged in a hole in this piece of driftwood i have. and almost all loved to vanish into the stem plants.
Definitely a good point, if the moss wall does well again then I might just leave it be for him ........unless it starts shading out its own growth by the bottom, then I suppose I'll have to do a minor trim and hope for the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by @marko@ View Post
and sometimes they do weird things. i have one female who will turn herself so she is vertical
Hahahaha I had a boy that did this but in the folds of a piece of fake coral I had in the tank (this of course was ages go before I went planted, yes it was silly to have fake coral in a fresh water tank but I also had purple blue and black gravel at the time so.....)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingalot View Post
I was trying to get a picture for days and then I notice the baby red claw that was put into the tank getting beaten up by the other red claw had clipped her tail. So I gently netted her out and alley-oop! she got a new home in the 55. Now she gets to pick on yellow shrimp. But she is much happier in her mansion and I'm keeping her stuffed full of flakes to minimize the carnage. She spent the first evening glaring at the other betta (her reflection) and puffing up ready to fight. It was too cute.
Oh no! Poor girl! I'm sure she'll recover quickly in her MANSION, and at least the tank is big enough with a lot of plant growth for the shrimp to hide in that I'm sure she won't decimate the population. And keep her well fed can't hurt

Quote:
I used this (picture from Lowes.com and idea from Kara):
I LOVE this stuff, (well mine looks a LITTLE different, but same basic idea) but I agree, it's a bit flimsy and rolly, that's why I made the "pouch" with it first and stuffed the moss inside and THEN did some sewing. However, I noticed that there were a few places where it was folded that it was actually breaking, so I'm thinking you're on to something with your hybrid method! If I make another moss wall, I'll probably try it your way!

Quote:
(as the reclaws snipped it right down the first try, lol).
SMART SHRIMP!

Quote:
What is strange is the moss is still there, just growing super slow when I looked yesterday.
They're probably just a bit in the shade due to the lip of the tank rim and that's why the moss is alive, but slower growing. I wonder what would happen if you just rotated the moss wall 180 so the bottom became the top and top became the bottom?

Quote:
Good idea on the DIY of it. I'll call it the Kara hybrid method.
I'm honored!

30g Low Tech Journal, 5 & 10g Low Tech Journal
1 year old Tibetan Terrier named Whisky
8 year old miniature Poodle named Cody
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!
20gH Planted tank,5g Planted Betta Tank

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome