The Planted Tank Forum banner

San Antonio

29K views 506 replies 39 participants last post by  chrislewistx 
#1 ·
Hey everyone. Never thought to post here with this question... Any Planted Tank members in San Antonio? I am looking for some people I can go to for trades or raok's and just people I can talk to or get ideas from (in person). Surrounding cities work as well as I make trips to Austin and Houston many times in the year.

I am currently trying to find a new home for my 4 silver dollars that are 5 inches long and my sailfin pleco that is 8 inches long. Craigslist is not working at all and I do not want take my fish of 2 years to the LFS!!!

Let me know if you live around here so I can add you as a friend and we can exchange info/tips etc. :)

#7 ·
I live in San Antonio. but I'm kinda inept at keeping plants alive. (I can kill anything. D: ) Sometimes I have algae. And sometimes I like it. (I've killed a marimo. Does that technically mean I've killed algae? D: )

So yeah, I'm here. I'm just silent and inept. With the touch of death. D:
(Don't worry, my pets are fine. It's mostly plants and electronics.)

#10 ·
I have tried to get the San Antonio hobbyists together a few times but I never get replies. I've had much more success with people in Austin and Houston. The theme of the people here seems to be "I keep to myself".

But if anyone ever wants to meet up or share info, trade goods, etc. just shoot me a PM :)

#12 ·
I am in San Antonio.

At this point, I don't have much to trade. I've just started a couple of aquariums and all I have are Java Ferns and an Anubia. I'm looking for some Java Moss, as I'll be starting a Bosemani Rainbow tank in the near future. Does anyone know of a good place for finding the stuff?

#13 ·
At this point, I don't have much to trade. I've just started a couple of aquariums and all I have are Java Ferns and an Anubia. I'm looking for some Java Moss, as I'll be starting a Bosemani Rainbow tank in the near future. Does anyone know of a good place for finding the stuff?
Occasionally I find it at Alamo Exotics off Bandera. If you're going up there, Aquatek in Austin tends to have some mosses available.

If you ask Fintique, they may be able to order it for you - not sure though.

You might also try Pet Frontier off Wetmore - I just looked at their website and it says they're out of stock, but you might be able to call and ask if they have some - all you need is a little ; )

#14 ·
i have several types of mosses if you are looking for some. flame moss, xmas moss, and i think peacock moss. i also have a good amount of fissidens. living in austin at the moment, moving to houston next week but will be coming back to austin every couple weeks

#16 ·
Hey sampster dont mean to jack your thread, but I am selling my ADA Mini-M setup and i am located in the San Antonio area. It would be nice to sell it locally so I wouldn't have to deal with shipping but here is what I am selling:

I have a nano set up that I just cannot give the proper attention to any longer and I would like it to go in the hands of somebody that has the time to give to this hobby. I am selling the whole setup for $500; here is what is included:

1- ADA Mini-M
1- Archaea 27w clip on
1-ADA garden mat
10-20 lbs of ryuoh stone
1- 5 lb. CO2 tank
1- Milwaukee's Instruments Solenoid Valve/CO2 regulator/bubble counter
1- Check valve
1- set of aquatic magic lily pipes
1- Eheim 2213 canister filter with tubes and original lily pipes
2- Do!aqua scissors (medium and small curve type)
1- Do!aqua pincettes (medium)
1- Aquatic Magic diffuser and the hose from tank to diffuser
1- Aquatic Magic drop checker
5-8 Cherry red shrimp
There is also HC growing in the tank and I will throw it in with the purchase and I have do!aqua beBright to throw in

Most of the equipment has original packaging, I will take cash or cashiers check.

#17 ·
I'm recently back in SA after being gone since 1979. I've kept SW fish and reef tanks for years until we left our house in East Texas and moved to Mexico in 08. I've been researching planted tanks for a few weeks to set up my 150. It will probably be a few more weeks until I get enough info in my brain to feel ready to get water in it. If we have a few people in the SA area that are "experts" to lead us forward I would be open to helping set up a local club.

#22 ·
There should be a club but I dont think the scene is really big here in sa maybe im wrong. Farebox is the one that got me started in this hobby and really hooked me up with Great ada stuff now I have been a ada fan since then. I think it is worth a shot though maybe if word spreads and more people in other local clubs like hill country cichlid club and maast members may convert to plants or maybe try it out. I would like to vote farebox as president lol

#27 ·
Psionic, I just wanted to let you know that I'm into keeping discus fish also. Right now I have an 125GA, 55GA, 20GA(set up for breeding), and empty 40GA breeder tank. I have an total of 30 discus on hand, ranging from 2.5" to 5.5". Also have an 5-stage plus ro/di unit rom BRS. Anytime want to discuss info about discus, can email me at:rolewilson63@gmail.com Pictures of tanks: http://s1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb436/farebox/My Discus Tanks/
Take care,
farebox

#31 ·
Psionic, I just wanted to let you know that I'm into keeping discus fish also. Right now I have an 125GA, 55GA, 20GA(set up for breeding), and empty 40GA breeder tank. I have an total of 30 discus on hand, ranging from 2.5" to 5.5". Also have an 5-stage plus ro/di unit rom BRS. Anytime want to discuss info about discus, can email me at:rolewilson63@gmail.com Pictures of tanks: http://s1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb436/farebox/My Discus Tanks/
Take care,
farebox
I always feel like a total nub compared to other people's discus setups. My discus are hitting the 3 inch mark. When I got them, they were around 1.5-2 inches or so. I live in a one bedroom apartment, so I don't have tons of space for something big. My tank is on the floor of my living room, along the wall. I don't have an RO/DI unit. I use tap water for them. For a while I was doing co2 injection to help the ph out and for the plants in it. I slowly stopped using it and they're doing fine. I heard everything being stable is better than tweaking it. My husband wants to install an RO/DI system here. I don't even know if we can, but we are going to look into it this week since he's in town until Sunday.

So somehow I have 6 juvie discus growing out on my living room floor in San Antonio tap water. I'm such a loser lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.