The Planted Tank Forum banner

5G Metaframe (Updated June 14th)

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  shinycard255 
#1 · (Edited)
TANK INFO:

Tank: 5G Metaframe
Heater: 50W
Light: Under cabinet T8
Substrate: 1" Miracle Grow Organic Choice Potting Mix, capped with 1" of PFS/Red stones (came with tank)
Filter: Zoo Med 501

FLORA:
Dwarf Sag, Salvinia Minima, Crypt Parva, Wisteria

FAUNA:
Halfmoon Betta

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
So I picked up a 5G metaframe at a swap not too long ago and finally got the wife's approval to set it up in our kitchen. It's going to be a low-tech dirt tank, probably with crypts, wisteria, salvinia, java moss, and java fern. Haven't figured out the lighting situation yet, but going to run to my LFS stores and Home Depot to see what I can find. No heater yet, still have to order that. The filter is coming in on Monday, it's the Zoo Med 501. Heard great things so I had to try it out. It's going to house a Dwarf Puffer :)

Anyway, onto some pictures:

TANK:

Substrate: (It came with the tank, might actually use it as a cap)

I also have an old piece of driftwood around and started positioning it in the tank, but don't know which I like more...

Anyway, that's it for now. I'll keep this updated as I start doing things to this tank.

#3 ·
Update:

FTS:

Well, the tank got flooded yesterday since the filter came in (wasn't expecting it until Monday). Cloudy, probably from the wood and dirt, but it will clear up eventually. I'm also doing a fishless cycle with this tank. I took media from one of my other tanks and put it in the zoo med 501. I also added ammonia to it to get it to 5ppm. Now it's a waiting game (I hate this part the most!).

Light:

It's a T8 under-cabinet light fixture. Had to think like the wife for a minute and find something that isn't an eyesore or too bright since the tank is in the kitchen.

Filter:

Zoo Med 501. This thing is so quiet, you can't even hear it! It's amazing. And I love the spray bar that came with it. Fit the width of my tank perfectly.

Plants:

Salvinia... this stuff is awesome. It's in all of my tanks. I have dwarf sag in there as well, but it's hard to see with the cloudy water.

Anyway, that's it for now. I'll be adding plants as this tank cycles, just going to do it slowly.

#5 ·
The 501 is awesome. I always told myself that if I ever come across a metaframe tank, that I need it. Well, I was at a Swap not too long ago and there were 2 for sale! :eek5: One was a 15G ($50) with light and hood and then this 5G ($5) without light and hood, so I went with the 5G. Plus, I already have 2 15Gs, so no need for more.

#6 ·
FTS:

So I am horrible at updating my journals on here. Too much going on in the real world...

I added some Wisteria towards the back of the tank to cover up the filter intake. I moved the Dwarf Sag I had (Wisteria put in it's place) to under the driftwood on the right side of the tank. I also added a Crypt Parva in front of the Wisteria. What I might do though is pull the Dwarf Sag out and put a Crypt Wendtii or 2 towards the back and I have 3 more Crypt Parvas that I can put in the front, but haven't decided yet. I'm also eventually going to tie some Java Moss to the driftwood to spice it up a bit

So my original plan was to do a Dwarf Puffer but I changed my mind. Instead, I got a Halfmoon Betta. I really like his coloring and it's what caught my attention at first.

#11 ·
Thanks for the kind words. I picked up the driftwood from a swap a few months back

I love the tank, I'm putting together a 10 gallon right now. Ebay has some retro/vintage stuff from Metaframe from time to time but the tanks are too heavy to ship, nice job.

BTW the Betta is Beautiful also!
I'm subscribing to your 10G journal. I'm going to have to hit up ebay just to see what they have.

This Betta rocks! Even the wife likes him (surprisingly, she's not into fish)

Right now there's a Metaframe Hush air pump and a heater (300w) on Fleabay, I had no idea they made old heaters that big.
I'll have to check it out... doubt I'll get anything but now I'm curious :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.