The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - When CO2 strikes: killing all my fish
View Single Post
post #12 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 02:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
Sorry about the losses green_valley

I nearly lost mine when I was in a hurry and unknowingly increased the co2 (quite a bit actually). When I realized it was too high, the diffuser was just pouring bubbles out - I've never seen that many before. And they were (mostly) being sucked in by my XP1's intake and mixed this way so much of it did get into the water

All my mid-swimmers were at the surface gasping and my cories were sitting frozen at the bottom. Interestingly, my ghost shrimp and snails seemed unaffected. Fortunately I had no casualties as I shut the co2 off overnight and turned the lights on to help the plants soak it up - they all began pearling almost immediately when lights went on. I realized this around 1230a and had to leave for work at 630a in the morning. I didn't sleep until about 145a so I can watch and see how they were doing. The mid-level fish (platies) calmed down pretty quickly but the cories still seemed stressed so I didn't sleep until I saw all cories beginning to swim around, even a little, again

I was running an ASA on/off with needle valve setup and within a couple of days (funds permitting) I ordered a regulator from maknwar. I currently have co2 off as I don't trust the asa on/off needle valve setup any more

Click here for my 20G High Tech Tank Profile

Originally Posted by pejerrey
"Give a man a fish and he will get a bowl, teach a man how to keep fish and he will get a planted tank"
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome