The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Ray's 12 Gallon Loooooooong Journal | DIY ADA Stand | UG Planted! (3/16)
View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Originally Posted by cawolf86 View Post
Just looked over your last thread too. What did you change when your HC started to grow last time? What are you doing different this time?
lets see...

I think its because I up my photo period from 10hrs to 14 hours. Plus I put a mix of Seachem Excel, Nitrogen, Phosphorous, Potassium, and Micros into my Spraying Bottle. But! because of these nutrients, algae started to take over in no time.

Last 10 gallon tank substrate was a combination of 20lb Eco-complete + 8.8lb of Fluval Shrimp Stratum. (eco-complete was inert, and FSS only has little nutrients)
This 12 gallon tank contains about ~15lb of Pure Fluval Shrimp Stratum (I use 1 and 2/3 Bags of Fluval Shrimp Stratum) So hopefully this 15lb of FSS can provide the nutrients needed while dry start.

I learned that High-Light + Long Photo Period + High Fertilizer + High Humidity grows the fastest HC. But! when an algae got you its hard to stop them because of the nutrients and light. Its like driving a car, you go 100 MPH will get you super fast to your destination. But this is when you got into an accident because you just can't stop the car that fast.
Slow and Steady win the race I guess!

Originally Posted by diwu13 View Post
What are you going to be doing differently in this tank to avoid algae?
Maybe... just maybe keep the photo period for 10 hours, but I'm so tempted to raise it up to 12 by next week after they acclimate.
And I'm not going to put fertilizers into my spray bottle this time lol. Just plain Tap water. I hope the FSS and Tap water can provide enough nutrients and minerals for the HC.

Plus I'm really watching the water level not to reach the substrate surface.
My substrate is 1 1/2 inch thick. I'm really trying to keep the water line at 1 inch below substrate surface to avoid a blanket of algae on top of my HC.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome