The Planted Tank Forum banner

What carpet plant should I use?

Geniusdudekiran's ADA Mini S Iwagumi "Treeless Mountain" Updated 12.02.12

259K views 1K replies 115 participants last post by  kman 
#1 · (Edited)
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs

"Treeless Mountain"​

So, I finally have bought an ADA tank, specifically the ADA Mini S, as it fits the dimensions of my desk very well. This tank is to be a very simple, minimalistic, but modern setup. All of the equipment and materials have been carefully and thoughtfully chosen to fit the requirements of this goal.

Some of you may recognize this scape, or even the name. Saying that this tank is inspired by user Bsk's original Mini M setup would be a gross understatement -- perhaps a more appropriate name for this setup would be "Treeless Mountain V2" or something of the likes. A huge thanks to Bsk for graciously selling me the rocks for this scape.

Equipment:
-ADA Mini S (High clarity)
-ADA Aquasoil (New type) 3L
-ADA Seiryu stone (Thanks Bsk!)
-Archaea 30cm LED (All white LED version, thanks Forrestp38829)
-Custom 10mm acrylic lily pipes (ADA mini style, thanks Fishkykid1!)
-Zoomed 501 canister filter
-Paintball CO2 (Jaggedfury style)
-Knockoff ADA bubble counter, check valve, and diffuser

Flora:
Planning on HC, although I may cave and use the UG I have. Opinions? Also have some Erios that I might try to fit into the scape, although I don't know if they'd really "flow" with it, you know?

Fauna:
Placed an order with Msjnkzd for 5 CPDs, in addition to my 2 algae-devouring, giant Amanos. Maybe will add some CRS at some point. Or PFRs. Again, opionions?

Fertilization:
RootMedic OneStep and possibly Excel.

Photography
Lots of people have asked what I shoot with.
- Nikon D7000
- 55-300mm Nikkor lens
- 18-105mm Nikkor lens
- Macro extension ring (for shrimp macros)

And without further ado, I present to you my tank:

Delivered!

Empty on my desk. This tank is going to fit my desk's minimalistic theme very well. In fact my entire room I try to keep in such a fashion. It's just nice... I guess I'm just kind of obsessed with the concept of simplistic design. And it certainly turns heads when people come over and marvel at the fact that this is a room inhabited by... a teenager! And it's... neat, and clean!

This light is just awesome. It really looks like the Apple TV remote. Which, admittedly, is part of the reason I decided on it. lol

Scaping. Sorry the light isn't properly screwed on in this picture!

Scaped. Any suggestions?

Here's a couple of pics from Bsk's original scape:

So guys (and girls!) let me know what you think!

See less See more
#2 ·
all this is super awesome!!!!

i vote for UG! it will be more of a different take on a scape that emulates bsk's

are you trying to exactly copy his scape? if so there are a few details that are different about yours. if not, then it looks great, i would just maybe make the substrate line the same level across the entire front of the tank.

#3 ·
Thanks man, I think I might do that after all. As far as the substrate line I completely agree. It is really hard though, to get it straight, as when I do, the far right rock moves around. I have to tweak it a little more before I start anything.

#4 ·
:proud: i think that on the right side, if you can get the substrate to slope all the way so that the depth at the glass is only like 1" it would be killer! because that big dark spot on the glass from the high substrate really takes your eyes off the scape.

you might think about also making the left hand side a little higher and more sloped in that corner, seems a little off balance.

#5 ·
Aghh your killing me here! I ordered the same tank and light. It was supposed to be in yesterday. Dang UPS.

I have cpd's in my mini m, planning on using my mini s for a fry tank.

I vote ug. This is gunna be good. I will be following this one.

The one thing that makes me worry is the light. From what i've heard its a pretty weak light. Your scape looks great. It looks a lot like a mountain actually. I do agree with the substrate comment on the right side. Good luck, looks nice.

#13 ·
Yes I have both. I have about 3/2 as much or maybe 2 times as much UG as HC. But the HC I have is very healthy. And I have a friend who's willing to sell me a nice amount if I decide to go that route.

Maybe UG with HC tucked into crevices? Or invert that? I'm trying to keep it simple, like less than 3 plants total, maybe 2 or even 1. lol

#16 ·
first thing i thought even befor i saw your post was having the bottom done with ug like a meadow (might take that center rock out and make more flat) then bring in the hc for the cracks giving the effect of elevation change just by using plant diversity, and slightly pull back a bit of sub from the front right corner looks like a great start!!

#17 ·
looks great Kiran. The only thing I would suggest is that you plant it emeresed. If you look at my final picture it no longer looks like a mountain because the slop began to fall and the rocks shifted as I tried to keep it together. It was a real pita trying to keep such a steep slope. gl

#18 ·
Thanks everyone!

I am definitely planting emmersed. Might do that tonight. Nothing else to do. lol

So what's the verdict, UG in the front and HC in crevices? I think that'll work just fine with what I've got. How should I get started with wetting the substrate? Misting? Should I put some rootmedic capsules in first?

#22 ·
Went for both HC and UG. All planted. I went a little overboard. It looks fully planted right now. Just waiting for it to root. But once it does, it won't take more than a few days before I fill it.

Pics after I eat dinner, 8:59 and 2 hours having been spent hunching over your tank takes a toll on your back and stomach. lol

#36 ·
Man... UG for a few months. That stuff was dense in the emmersed setup, made for an easy transplanting into the tank. HC... got that last June in San Francisco at AFA. Started with 2 pots of it, and have been growing it emmersed ever since. I used most of it in my Fluval Spec that I am tearing down, and it all died (but I still had some left in my emmersed setup). That tank looked great in its prime.

Looking great man. Love the way you placed the Ug.. what kind of fish you thinking?? Some cpd would be great. Look like birds over a lush field :D

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Ya, CPDs ordered today from Rachel. They'll be shipping Monday, and they'll be in my 2.5 gallon until this tank is filled. And I agree, the way the plants are done looks really nice. This tank, visually, is just complete eye candy.

looks great!!!!!!! the substrate line is fixed and it looks super awesome! and WOW! youve practically got a full carpet!!
Thanks! Yes I did. I figured the UG would grow in thick there. I do have a practically full carpet. It looks great. Just want to make sure that they'res a solid root system before I fill it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.