The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - 57 Gallon Tank (Learning from my first planted tank)
View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
Part 8: Where it hit the fan...

Removing all the paper and plastic and wow, it was intact, a few small pieces needed to be replanted but amazeballs!

Grabbed the filter/etc to plumb into the cabinet. I had precut and attached the heater/CO2 diffuser, lily pipes, reactor, etc... Staged it all - I just needed to place them and attach the hoses - Easy, right!

Not so fast.

Eheim inputs cracked and leaked - Thank G*d all right in front of me - If it had happened a few hours later - disaster.

I scrambled to get a spare part, but no luck and I was beyond the "go or no-go" stage, so I rented a Zip car online, hightailed it to a LFS to check out a Fluval 406 or Rena xp4. I chose the Fluval and it seems like a pretty well built, very quiet filter.
Moved all the primed media to the new filter and she started quickly and magic...

Set up the lights (with the help a level and my roommate) and BAM it looks like a tank with water, rocks, pants, and soil... You'd think I won the lottery....

I lost 2 neons and an oto in the bucket - poor guys were stressed

I made sure everything was running, adjusted the temp to match the bucket temp.

I quickly bagged up the new fish and placed them in tupperwear, acclimated and added them.

New Tank Below:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2466.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	42574  

Last edited by sundragon; 02-27-2012 at 03:06 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome