The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - 57 Gallon Tank (Learning from my first planted tank)
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
PTrader: (3/100%)
57 Gallon Tank (Learning from my first planted tank)

Part 1: Decommission and replace old tank with a new planted tank in 8 hours (What you can do in a 3 day weekend)

My Story: Swapping a tank

I live in Washington, DC in a 2nd story 120+ year old brownstone. Apartment living makes it difficult to have multiple tanks. When I decided to swap out my 29 gallon tall with something different and better I realized I would have to do it quickly. I don’t have the space for two tanks and with a roommate having the house covered in aquarium equipment, plants, fish, and critters can cause issues…

So what gonna change:
My current tank is in the living room, sitting next to our fireplace. I wanted to replace the tank with something that would be more visually stimulating. The new tank will be rimless, and will fill out the space where the old one sits. I want the lights to be hovering over it with a fixture. As little equipment as possible will be visible to audience. Filter will have an inline heater and diffuser. The intake and exhaust from filter will use Glass

Important note: This brownstone is ~100+ years old so it can’t weigh as much as a VW bug.

I searched Craigslist and found one - (nearly rimless) Oceanic Illuminata 57 gallon.

The dimensions of the old tank 24x12x24 vs 36x18x21. It fills the space well. I after some time I found the old tank too tall and it was a pain to clean. The new one is a little shorter, but tall enough to frame a nice visual experience.

Old Tank Below:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03248.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	42553  

Last edited by sundragon; 12-29-2012 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Spelling and additional information Title
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome