The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - 220g Jardini Island
View Single Post
post #15 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
Originally Posted by rockwood View Post
Craig, I know a lot of people use it but I would URGE you very wholeheartedly to NOT put the potting mix in there.

I used the potting mix and it was doing fine. However, I went to shift my wood at one point, and I broke the sand top layer. A volcano of dirt and gases erupted into the water. I almost lost my fish, I lost pretty much all of my shrimp a few cories and an otto.

When I started taking the dirt out it smelled awful. Apparently it broke down something awful and wasn't venting properly, even though I made sure to keep the sand to no more than 1" deep.

Right now I'm running it with straight sand (and the plants are suffering) until I can move later this summer and put together an order for AS.

I know some people have luck with dirt, but considering the size of this tank any issues like I had would be a train wreck.
Just curious how thick your dirt layer was, they don't recommend much over 1" max on the dirt and it can compact. I will be usign probably 1/2" or less in my setup. Also with zero hardscape and a fully dutch setup the roots from teh plants should do it well.

Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome