The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - 1 Gallon Shrimp Cubus! (now with plants!!!)
View Single Post
post #11 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 03:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru
Originally Posted by Eldachleich View Post
How weird... the square in the middle appealed to me to...
I thought it was brilliant till I realised I wouldnt see it.
It would be nice as potting soil holder though. For a specific crypt or something.
I loved the glass. the .4 gallons of extra space, the raised up bit, and the light. They were all nice touches for such a tiny tank. I'm still looking around I may end up breaking down and ordering the azoo filter. I just wish shipping wasnt so expensive...
Go!! Get one! Now!! lol... Its on sale right now by 4 whole dollars. Just enough to make me feel better.
When those rilis start breeding I would love to get some babies from you. seriously.
Since the fish are coming tomorrow... I'm scaping it right now!! Just sent the hubby (fiance really) out for super glue for the moss, pellia, and anubias. And my neighbors are giving me dirty looks as I happily, and a bit maniacally, smash rocks to tiny bits with a hammer.
Yeah that's what I wanted to do too, use the square for potting (it's a little deeper), but then thought it'd be better to utilize the whole space for plants, given how little it is already.

I will try my best the breed the rilis they are culls though but from the pictures looked fairly blue. I want to see if more red striping returns in generation 1 (the blue + red looks amazing).

Are you using soil? If so, I sift the big pieces out, bake mine at 350F for 15mins, let cool. In addition to some gravel, put a layer of fine sand on so nothing escapes (also makes it easier to plant things so they stay). Shrimp are more sensitive to ammonia that may leech out, but should be okay if heavily planted. You also don't want air bubbles, I have maybe 2-3 Malaysian trumpet snails in mine aerating the substrate. Oh, and use DARK substrate so your shrimps' coloration are better.

Is your fiance into the hobby too? Lucky you can just send him out for stuff.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome