The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Coach's 29 Gallon - Cichlid Restart (Post #68)
View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
I've come to the conclusion that I completely underestimated just how much topsoil I would need to mineralize for this tank. I started out with a five gallon bucket 3/4 full of raw topsoil and ended up with less than a full 1/4 bucket of the powdery silk stuff following a very fine screening this afternoon. I'm pleased with these results, but I immediately knew once seeing the amount following screening that I would need to make more.... Dang it!

Here's a pictures of the MTS I made:

The new batch of MTS in the initial soak phase of the process:

I'll have enough MTS to get a great layer in the tank once this is complete. I may have previously stated that it would take a month to make this stuff, but it hasn't really taken that long for the first batch to reach that "silt-like" stage with no odor. It smells of dirt, but I'm not sure that you can get rid of the smell of dirt from dirt.

On another note, I've contemplated creating a series of tiers in the tank using stones. I'm hoping to have boundaries to separate regions of the substrate so as to avoid intermingling of plant species. I've got a conceptualization of my plan, but I haven't really drawn them up for y'all to see. I'll work on that...

Thanks for reading,

"Success is not the goal, it's merely a byproduct!"
- The Fraternity of Dirt #66 -
Just because it's dirt doesn't make it low-tech.

Last edited by CAM6467; 01-25-2012 at 03:03 AM. Reason: To fix a picture issue
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome