Satellite + warranty void without glas lid!! - The Planted Tank Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 19
Angry Satellite + warranty void without glas lid!!

So, I made my shift to LED's with the Satellite + series. I loved it so much that I bought another 8 lights for all of my aquariums over two years. I even convinced the local pet store to replace all of their fluorescent lights with the Satellite + system. They're using over 50 of them.

My last purchase was a 48" Satellite + which died after 6 months. It started with red lights going on, then blue color shifts appearing in random places, and finally nothing.

I called Ken's to replace it and they said they couldn't replace the light, due to it being over an open aquarium (*Just as in ALL of the CURRENT USA promotional photographs). I was told that if I didn't use a cover on the aquarium, that the Current USA warranty would be considered void. After asking them where it was mentioned in the warranty (which I read, and reread, and reread, ...) and the lady said she "didn't know where, but it's in there".

I called Current USA, multiple times, only to get "leave a message", for weeks.
I wrote to Current USA. ...and never got a response.

The weeks of trying turned into months and by then, the warranty had expired.

I don't know if anyone else experienced this, but I just wanted to post a "heads up". I love the lights, but am pretty angry with the company for having absolutely zero customers service and using photographs in promotional material which apparently void the warranty.
Duque is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 09:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Raymond S.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Hot Springs Ar. 71901
Posts: 5,935
In the legal dept of the local law school there is a special section of people who do legal "things" fort free or very little money for the experience/learning of it.
You might find one of these and send them this copy of the warranty just to see if it's actually in there.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
Raymond S. is offline  
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 10:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
agro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 707
Buy another one, return old one saying the new fixture is DOA and rather just take refund than replaced.

agro is offline  
 
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 10:33 AM
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Calgary Canada
Posts: 33
Satellite plus

Sounds like a moisture problem alright I had several of the LED Strip lights and they all died the same way.

I also have one of the 48-60 fixtures that quit on me. I went through 2 power supplies in a little over a year. I finally put one of the 5 amp led power supplies you can buy for LED strip lighting on it and it has been fine since.

Why would a company make lights for an aquarium that are not water proof, even with a glass lid there is still a lot of moisture around the fixture and I suspect my fixture will go the same way as the LED strip lights in time.

I have a glass lid but there are 10 other tanks in the room so a lot of moisture too. . I love the fixtures but I don't think I would buy any more of them.

Current needs to give their head a shake, and make their products water proof not just water resistant.
Dan386 is offline  
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 19
Hah! You guys are great.

Agro - I briefly considered your option, but Karma and conscience wouldn't let me think about it for more than 10 seconds.

Raymond - Part of the reason I posted this was to see if others had similar technical issues or warranty issues. I'm hoping somebody from Current USA might see the post and clarify what their position is. Either the warranty doesn't cover using the lights without covers, or the photographs in their advertisements have legal problems.

I'm going to try Dan's solution and see if it might help. I truly hate throwing out things that theoretically SHOULD work. Call me sentimental or old, but I hate our disposable society.

*Either way, I got a large sheet of clear plastic, which I'm going to cut in pieces, so it covers any area that has even the slightest possibility of causing a splash.
Duque is offline  
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 09:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
benealing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Carmel, Indiana
Posts: 602
Duque,

If this is plain clear plastic/acrylic sheeting, my experience if that is will sooner than later start to bow inwards. Better to go with cut glass or better yet, use Lexan or another polycarbonate sheet. It won't shatter and won't start to bow.

Ben
benealing is offline  
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by benealing View Post
Duque,

If this is plain clear plastic/acrylic sheeting, my experience if that is will sooner than later start to bow inwards. Better to go with cut glass or better yet, use Lexan or another polycarbonate sheet. It won't shatter and won't start to bow.

Ben

Thanks Ben. That's a great heads up.

I was considering using it in strips that would cover where there is any extra spray (over air bubblers), near filter outlets, etc...
I haven't figured out if I'll keep it small and attach pieces to the lights (in potentially vulnerable areas) or run the strips across the tank and try to reinforce them so they don't bow. We'll see. For now, Dan has given me an idea for resuscitating my long light. I'll see if that works first.
Duque is offline  
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 12:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: texas
Posts: 889
light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duque View Post
So, I made my shift to LED's with the Satellite + series. I loved it so much that I bought another 8 lights for all of my aquariums over two years. I even convinced the local pet store to replace all of their fluorescent lights with the Satellite + system. They're using over 50 of them.

My last purchase was a 48" Satellite + which died after 6 months. It started with red lights going on, then blue color shifts appearing in random places, and finally nothing.

I called Ken's to replace it and they said they couldn't replace the light, due to it being over an open aquarium (*Just as in ALL of the CURRENT USA promotional photographs). I was told that if I didn't use a cover on the aquarium, that the Current USA warranty would be considered void. After asking them where it was mentioned in the warranty (which I read, and reread, and reread, ...) and the lady said she "didn't know where, but it's in there".

I called Current USA, multiple times, only to get "leave a message", for weeks.
I wrote to Current USA. ...and never got a response.

The weeks of trying turned into months and by then, the warranty had expired.

I don't know if anyone else experienced this, but I just wanted to post a "heads up". I love the lights, but am pretty angry with the company for having absolutely zero customers service and using photographs in promotional material which apparently void the warranty.
Hate to hear this. I bought a sat plus pro that I am using over an open top tank. Guess when it goes out I will go with something different.

rick dale is offline  
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 03:05 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Cape Coral, Florida
Posts: 1,286
Interestingly I posted this question to their sponsored forum her:

LED+ directly over water

And never got any reaction from Current.

I use mine (five of six) directly over water. I have had one fail (controls would not work), I disassembled it and found a wire abraded. I guess it's possible dampness exacerbated the problem with adding conductivity, but a bit of tape around the wire and it started working again. The parts are fairly well sealed against splashes, but are not sealed well enough for immersion. I could see situations (depending on where the wire rack is mounted) where the top may actually come in contact with the water, or semi-continuous contact with waves or splashes from spraybars, etc., and think that might be a problem (Mine is about 1" away at the fullest).

I think it's a shame, and will come back to haunt them, if they take this approach, especially lack of answers. News travels fast in such a relatively small market.

PS. As to their power supplies, I replaced four of my six with a single old PC power supply, just take the 12v off of it. It holds voltage under load better and doesn't heat up nearly as much (much less takes only one plug not four). Their supplies worked OK for me, but run a bit hot.

Linwood

Latest tank build: 220 Tall
Linwood is offline  
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 03:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
rebelbuck1993's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: titusville Florida
Posts: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linwood View Post
Interestingly I posted this question to their sponsored forum her:

LED+ directly over water

And never got any reaction from Current.

I use mine (five of six) directly over water. I have had one fail (controls would not work), I disassembled it and found a wire abraded. I guess it's possible dampness exacerbated the problem with adding conductivity, but a bit of tape around the wire and it started working again. The parts are fairly well sealed against splashes, but are not sealed well enough for immersion. I could see situations (depending on where the wire rack is mounted) where the top may actually come in contact with the water, or semi-continuous contact with waves or splashes from spraybars, etc., and think that might be a problem (Mine is about 1" away at the fullest).

I think it's a shame, and will come back to haunt them, if they take this approach, especially lack of answers. News travels fast in such a relatively small market.

PS. As to their power supplies, I replaced four of my six with a single old PC power supply, just take the 12v off of it. It holds voltage under load better and doesn't heat up nearly as much (much less takes only one plug not four). Their supplies worked OK for me, but run a bit hot.
can you send me some photos of this power supply mod you did? i work with computers and am about to put two finnex planted plus's on a 75 but would be willing to take a risk and see with a old pc power supply if i can add a dimmer inline for my 33long in my signature.

75g journey , Eheim 460L , 33g retired
rebelbuck1993 is offline  
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 03:23 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Cape Coral, Florida
Posts: 1,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelbuck1993 View Post
can you send me some photos of this power supply mod you did? i work with computers and am about to put two finnex planted plus's on a 75 but would be willing to take a risk and see with a old pc power supply if i can add a dimmer inline for my 33long in my signature.
I don't know how to post a pointer to a specific post but look at post #114 in this thread:

My leap of faith (aka 220 Gallon Low Tech)

For the LED+ all I am providing is 12V. This isn't a dimmer -- I use a IR transmitter to let the LED+ control the dimming. A PC power supply by its nature has +12 available. What's needed is to pull it apart very carefully and you'll find that some wires may be wired together -- keep track of those and keep them together, and cut the rest. One wire (usually green) will need to be connected to ground (usually black). Google for ATX power supply and there's all sorts of wiring diagrams around. The thing you want is to make sure that your power supply has a SINGLE 12V section with significantly more wattage than you need. That's usually easy but it depends on your wattage. Note some power supplies might be 800 watts but in 3 sections, but somewhere on the specs it will give you watts in each from each voltage.

If you are building your own dimmer for LED's, do NOT use a resistive dimmer as it is very wasteful. Get something that will do pulse wave modulation (e.g. it is pulsing fast, and the percentage of the pulse that is on vs off determines how bright). Look for "PWM" if you search. You can build your own with something like a Raspberry Pi or Arduino and a few transistors. The nice thing is the PC ATX power supply (besides being able to recycle what would otherwise be trash) is it can also supply +5 or +3.3 as needed to the cards. Mine powers 4 LED+'s, one Raspberry Pi, and has a separate 12V I use for a bilge pump to do transfers from a trashcan into the tank (i.e. for water changes).

Getting 12V from a power supply for a self contained light (i.e. built in controls) is really easy, you don't even need to solder, you can just crimp connectors. Building a dimming circuit is a lot more complicated.

Linwood

Latest tank build: 220 Tall
Linwood is offline  
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 01:05 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: North NJ
Posts: 718
I bought a few refurbished light fixtures from them from them over the years and they've worked as I've expected them. Maybe mine where the short lived units that people returned! The protective splash guard is the similar of their other fixtures design where it seems to be removable. I mean my Nova Extreme T5HO had a lot of salt creep and it is still working other than screws being rusted.

Anyway, the Sat + I got refurb like new from them was back in July 2014 and (knocks on wood), it's still working.
mach_six is offline  
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 01:54 AM
Planted Member
 
MadRiverPat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Burlington, VT
Posts: 196
Had bad luck with the Sat+ burning out after 6 months. It doesn't surprise me in the least that they have problems with moisture after taking it apart. Really disappointed because I wanted to love the light and the company but it will be hard to commit to buying from them again in the future.

Pat
MadRiverPat is offline  
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 01:40 AM
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 24
That's really disappointing to hear Moved from Finnex to CurrentUSA after finding out water damage isn't covered (open top tanks - have lost TWO units due to condensation) - what's up with companies not making their LED lights for use over water? Most people I know don't use lids - I rarely use lids unless I have a species of fish known for jumping. Let alone all those who use hoods :/
Tetraodon is offline  
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 02:33 PM
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12
Very happy to have found this thread. Was close to buying either the Current or Ecoxotic line for my 4ft planted tank.

Will stay away from them for sure as my tank has no cover.

Still cant believe all the false marketing on their sites. They still show their lights over open water setups.
Asterix1 is offline  
Reply

Tags
current satellite led+, customer service, lighting, problems, warranty fluval

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome