Is the Satellite Freshwater Plus bright enough?! - Page 5 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 04:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byronyk View Post
Will the 36" be enough to grow HC/DHG on a 55 gallon? (20"~ deep).
No in my humble opinion.
I have one 48''/60'' on 55 gal and would want more for carpet plant's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 04:47 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
No in my humble opinion.
I see. I have a couple questions.

1) What kind of PAR do you need for carpeting plants?
2) What lights would you recommend to meet that PAR requirement?

Thanks for your help.
post #63 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 04:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Would want 40 to 50 PAR at substrate minimum.
Finnex RAY II would be my choice or possibly the current satellite planted plus along with stock single T8 bulb fixture that maybe came with the tank?

post #64 of 76 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 03:46 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have a rack of 10 gallons using the Satellite Freshwater plus LED. I have two fixtures. Each fixture is 36" long and used directly on top of two 10 gallons that are side by side. Because they are side by side, their total length is 40". That means that the fixture doesn't cover the entire length of either tank.
Both tanks are on timers and receive around 8 hours of light/day. It is important to note that I have both fixtures on the PURPLE preset button. This is not the highest PAR setting for this fixture but I use it because I prefer the color of my fish under this lighting. Three of the four tanks use pressurized CO2 that is ran into a HOB filter. Every plant I have tried under these lights has grown well if not better then in any other tank I have.

The top row has more light demanding plants. In one tank, I have an HC carpet and Blyxa Japonica. In the other tank, I have DHG Belem and Erio. Parkeri. Both tanks have carpeted extremely well, even spreading to the outside few inches of the tank that are not covered by the spread of the fixture.

The bottom row has had much more variety in plants including many slow growing or less demanding plants. In one tank, I have grown the following very successfully: Pogostemon Erectus, Rotala Green, Rotala Colorata, Stauro. Repens, Crypt. Parva. The other tank has had Java Fern, Java Moss, and Anubias Barteri.
I don't want to elaborate much about other aspects of the tank because I am writing this as a review of just the light. I feel it is important to mention the following though. Even in this slower growing tank, the only time I have had issues with algae is when this tank has had no CO2. All Algae is cleared up just from adding a DIY bottle of yeast and sugar water with a cotton placed in the tubing. Very little of this CO2 stays in the water because this tank uses air driven sponge filters that create a lot of surface disruption. It is enough to ward off the algae though.

I have these tanks documented in a journal. Feel free to check it out to see the progress with these lights for yourself. The journal can be viewed here:
Nice Rack (4x10)

I'm not affiliated with this company in anyway and I paid for these fixtures myself. I do have other fixtures on other tanks as well. In my opinion they work extremely well with a nice balance of features for the price. I wouldn't use them on a deep tank but for shallow tanks, I wouldn't use anything else.

Don't get caught with your plants down
post #65 of 76 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 06:31 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
No in my humble opinion.
Ditto this.

-- 2.5 Gallon mini bowfront with a field of crypt wendtii, some java fern, java moss, 8 RCS, and several species of snails.
-- 55 Gallon long with Green Rotala, Crypt Wendtii, Red Ludwigia, Blyxa Japonica, Bacopa Carolinia, Banana Plant, Dwarf Sag, and an Amazon Sword. 2 Bolivian rams, 2 German Golden longfin rams, 2 German Blue Longfin Rams, 17 Rummies, 7 Neons, and a lonely Amano.
post #66 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 08:42 PM

My local shop carries the Current line. What would be the recommended setup for my new 125 g? 4 x 36" or could I get away with 2 x 36" for low light application?
Also, with multiple fixtures is there any way to sync the effects of the LED+?
post #67 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 01:12 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Would want 40 to 50 PAR at substrate minimum.
Finnex RAY II would be my choice or possibly the current satellite planted plus along with stock single T8 bulb fixture that maybe came with the tank?
According to the specs on the website: PAR @ 12" = 35

Before

After

Before

After

The depth of this tank is approximately 11-12" so the PAR is 35.

Can't be anymore clear that at least 35 PAR is enough to grow carpeting plants (HC and DHG Belem). The bar has officially been lowered to at least 35... Probably can be even lower.

Don't get caught with your plants down
post #68 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 01:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Commented on OP's question whether the light would work For carpet plant in 55 gal which is considerably deeper than 12 inches.
Still think more PAR would be needed for 55 gal.
post #69 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 04:18 AM
Algae Grower

Would this be able to grow Monte Carlo at an 18" depth ?
post #70 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 04:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangelvk View Post
Would this be able to grow Monte Carlo at an 18" depth ?
The light would IMHO.
Whether YOU can,, will depend on providing food for the plant's,and patience.
CO2 supplement such as EXCEL or injection,would be a plus along with enriched substrate for plant's to root in more quickly.
Feel in low tech /lower light energy,growth would be measured in week's/month's.
Most cannot stand it, and quickly start increasing light energy in attempt to drive faster growth, but maybe not also providing enough in the way of nutrient's and or afore mentioned CO2 supplement/injection.
Then likely to find ones self battling algae in various form's.
post #71 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 06:24 AM
Algae Grower

Just wanted to chime in with my 12 Long doing very well with the satellite plus. Also want to say that current is an excellent company! I had my power transformer brick go out on me and they replaced it within a week of emailing them for free. They even paid the shipping. Thank you! Here is a short video of this light allowing my Aquascaping dream to come true

https://youtu.be/O_GlIgpjq5A
post #72 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 10:44 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
The light would IMHO.
Whether YOU can,, will depend on providing food for the plant's,and patience.
CO2 supplement such as EXCEL or injection,would be a plus along with enriched substrate for plant's to root in more quickly.
Feel in low tech /lower light energy,growth would be measured in week's/month's.
Most cannot stand it, and quickly start increasing light energy in attempt to drive faster growth, but maybe not also providing enough in the way of nutrient's and or afore mentioned CO2 supplement/injection.
Then likely to find ones self battling algae in various form's.
Thanks for your response. I dose 4-5mL of excel everyday and have seachem root tabs close by. They are also planted in ADA Aquasoil. The light is on for around 10 hrs a day 5 hrs on, 3 hrs off then 5 hrs on again. Im hoping that it will carpet within a month or two. WHen you say patience, how long were you thinking?
post #73 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 11:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangelvk View Post
Thanks for your response. I dose 4-5mL of excel everyday and have seachem root tabs close by. They are also planted in ADA Aquasoil. The light is on for around 10 hrs a day 5 hrs on, 3 hrs off then 5 hrs on again. Im hoping that it will carpet within a month or two. WHen you say patience, how long were you thinking?
Couple month's IMHO.
post #74 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 02:15 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Couple month's IMHO.

Thanks for your help once again.
so im your opinion will the Monte Carlo succeed in my tank with what im doing? or do i need to change/add something?
post #75 of 76 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 05:44 PM
Algae Grower

I have a satellite+ on my standard 29g and I'm havin issues with stem plants like money wort and Anacharis with leaves dying near the bottom and not coming out until they reach almost 3/4 the height of the tank. It's a very low tech tank with about 2in of soil and a gravel cap.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode