Satellite Plus Pro PAR Data - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By CoryWM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2016, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Lightbulb Satellite Plus Pro PAR Data

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the delay, I said a couple months ago that I bought a brand new Apogee PAR meter with the sensor calibrated for LEDs. I'm just getting around to making new videos of tests. The first one is this light. You can check out the data.

dcutl002 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 12:30 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

Thanks for doing the work, useful info to have.

Your last comment in the video aside, knowing the APR 3 - 6" off the axis would have been most usefull. That would indicate the spread and help people like me to decide if they want one or two, for say, an 18" wide tank.

The price also increases substantially for longer fixtures. When comparing to Finnex, one might consider that a double ramp timer is about $50 all by itself.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

In theory. I want to have an acrylic tank made with pedestals at different levels and off center etc... But I can't justify the cost yet. But if I had a 18 inch deep tank with different steps at every inch or something you could really see some PAR data.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 05:57 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

I ment an 18" *wide* tank. My biggest problem with Finnex, Current USA and such is the spread from a single fixture mouted directly on the rim. I have over a dozen Current USA Planted Plus and "regular" Planted Satellites (no PRO) because I end up using 2 or 3 per an18" front to back tank. With the PRO model being roughly 2.5 times the price of Plus, I would want to know the difference between the spreads.

Using graph paper with X and Y axis in inches under a clear bottom tank would solve a part of your delema. Or just a plastic measuring tape.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 09:37 PM
Algae Grower

Thank you for posting. Sure wish this would have been available before I purchased mine. Bought it thinking the ability to dial back the intensity would be nice so I could tailor it for my tank, given the "100+" par advertised at 12". Now I find myself using it at full intensity and shopping for an additional fixture because, as you found, it's putting out significantly less than advertised. I'll add that I emailed and called Current twice about this (thinking maybe I had a defective light) and never received any response.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Wow I didn't know they advertised it at 100par at 12 inches... Yikes.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 10:15 PM
Algae Grower

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 12:20 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

I've been looking at them for a while but 2 x $240 for a 40B or 90P? And then again, DIY aside, what are the alternatives? Grrrr ...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 04:28 PM
Algae Grower

Yea, I'm 100% disappointed with this light. Huge waste of money.

The timer is cool. The remote control is cool. The form factor is reasonable. But, whatever. I spent ~$300 on a light for a 55G that puts out a comparable amount of light to a 2 bulb T8 shop fixture. I don't care how many bells and whistles it's got. I should've researched more, to find out that the advertised PAR values are 100% total crap. It's my own fault. To be honest, if they advertise this at 100+ Par at 12", and they advertise the regular Satellite (not pro, not plus) at 15.... Then what PAR is that one getting? 1? 2? Maybe a whopping 5? Highway robbery.

@DMtankd , I'm doing the same thing you're doing. I spent $300 on a light that needs to be supplemented. Lovely.

-- 2.5 Gallon mini bowfront with a field of crypt wendtii, some java fern, java moss, 8 RCS, and several species of snails.
-- 55 Gallon long with Green Rotala, Crypt Wendtii, Red Ludwigia, Blyxa Japonica, Bacopa Carolinia, Banana Plant, Dwarf Sag, and an Amazon Sword. 2 Bolivian rams, 2 German Golden longfin rams, 2 German Blue Longfin Rams, 17 Rummies, 7 Neons, and a lonely Amano.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 04:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

I didnt watch the video, but the comments are not good. I was planning on buying these for a non-planted, and I still will, but if the par is as far off as you say, then I feel bad for those who spent money on it. I have a Ray 2 that (As far as I know, without a PAR meter) puts out a ton of light, for ~$160.

A 16-year old that faces parental opposition in this hobby
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=237065&dateline=14898  54398
55g High Tech, Dutch (Sort of)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode