The Planted Tank Forum banner

Orchid Turtle Pond

Tags
pond turtle
12K views 28 replies 10 participants last post by  KenP 
#1 · (Edited)
*Update March '12*

I've had Tom the turtle for 19yrs. He washed up in our pool after Hurricane Andrew in 1992. What do your ponds look like?

See less See more
#11 ·
Here is my pond, just finished the rocks waterfall and most of the back filling yesterday. the rocks at the base were so heavy they smashed the edge of the pond down about 4", so now he have to dig down and lower the rest down, luckily we raised up the ground 8" before we started.

#13 ·
I am growing some tropical water lilies from seed( it's a lot cheaper than plants), they are just starting to come up I will see if they make it? I have 3 gold fish that are out growing my tank, so they will test it too see if it is safe for more fish. The pond only cost $250 the pump cost the most and you can pick rocks up along the side of the road out here in Kansas, and we built the filter.:biggrin:

#17 ·
I decided to try and make my own DIY filter without spending much money. I went with a moving bed filter. Works something like this:

You basically just run water through a bed of small gravel, and the gravel is were all that good bacteria will grow on. On mine I also added some fast growing bamboo to aid in the organic waste removal.

$4 at home depot.

Old water jug and a powerhead I already had.

Filled up with gravel about half way and dumped it in the pond.

Sticks out above the water line so water can splash back in, aerating the water a little.

Here's the other side

#18 ·
I want to turn this whole area into mostly orchids. Thinking about chopping down that large palm and putting some kind of wall orchid arrangement. Kinda like this...

What do ya think?

Already started planting orchids from around the house in this area. More will come once the palm is gone.

Maybe one day it will look like this. I took this photo at a recent orchid show.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.