The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - twin 29g tanks on metal stand...pic heavy!
View Single Post
post #13 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
PTrader: (23/100%)
scapegoat - I thought about making a ledge/cliff under the outflow - I thought it would be cool to have it slightly divide, so the water flow wouldn't go straight in/down.
Hmm, mayby the creative juices will turn back on tonight - lol.
jwm5, I found about about DIY 3D backgrounds because someone on this site had a link to a cichlid site. I don't remember who it was now, but if you google "DIY 3D background" there are amazing (and sometimes not so much) things made for aquariums and terrariums. It's fascinating! Concrete was used for years, but Drylok has become the norm - it doesn't require soaking to leach out chemicals - it's made to line masonry but also potable water/birdbaths, etc.
I haven't opened up the can yet so I don't know how it is to work with, but I've read it's white and like thickened latex paint. They can tint it at the store for you, but I bought three colors of concrete tint to experiment with - charcoal, terra cotta, and buff. You can add sand & grit to it for texture, too!

The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds
The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome