The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - DIY Hood, stand, LED lights
View Single Post
post #15 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 02:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed
PTrader: (2/100%)
And a pic of the legs after being stained.
Click image for larger version

Name:	6551_IMG_0024c.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	34640
But there's a problem... First, I was wondering whether or not to put another coat of stain on the legs, or if they would look good being a little lighter. So I set the legs in front of the butcher block. LOOKED GREAT!! So I then put some of the bamboo flooring between the legs. Oh.. My... Um... That looks... terrible? Great... so, I just got done sanding ALL the stain off all four legs, with 60 grit sandpaper. Then 120, then 220, then wood conditioner, and 220 again. MAN! I hate losing an entire night's worth of work... but hey, this thing needs to look good.
Click image for larger version

Name:	6552_IMG_0023c.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	34641

Tomorrow will consist of re-staining the legs, staining the bottom of the butcher block, and polyacrylic coating some of the smaller trim-bits which will be going in the notched out areas of the legs.

Anybody have any ideas as to what level of gloss I should use? I would imagine most stands have a satin finish, as the glass of the tank will be pretty shiny, and be the main focus. I was thinking about using a high gloss on the butcher block, and satin or semi-gloss on everything else. The bamboo flooring has a satin finish.

P.S. Do NOT use my method for creating an actual butcher block. The pine will soak up moisture, bacteria, etc. This is not for eating on, just for holding a tank, and looking cool. Also, if I had more clamps, and hardwood, then I wouldn't have had to use the angle grinder to make everything sit properly. I think this is coming out pretty well, considering I'm using my front porch, and dining room to build this beast (thanks, honey. I owe you)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome