Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Aliso Viejo, California
I just officially switched over my fish to homemade fish food... I still feel like the recipe and proportions are off but, they liked my first two batches a lot... So I figured I would tweak it as each new batch was created...
I've started recruiting people in my area to text out this batch... But so far I only have a few and have accidentally made alot more than I need... Still figuring out what to do with the rest.... My fish responded really well to this food.. and the last batch as well.. more active, less mess, more color, more spawning. My blue guppy has really deepened in colour. And a black and red spot have appeared on his body, as well As black lines running along his body and turquoise developing on his tail. He's turned into a real stunning guy.. All my fish have shown improved activity and coloration...
Ok so, here's the recipe... Tell me if you have any ideas to improve it..
1/3 lb Salmon
1/3 lb Beef Heart
1/3 lb Shrimp (d-veined and shelled)
1/3 lb Cod
2 Cloves of Garlic
1 1/2 Zucchini
1 Small Summer Squash
1/2 Package Frozen Bloodworms
3/4 Cups Cold Water
1 Large Jar Organic Pea and Spinach Baby Food
1 3/4 Cups Water
1/2 Tbsp Spirulina
4 Packets Gelatin
I skinned and chopped all the fish and shrimp and blended them on low with the baby food. The baby food I got had 3 sizes. I opted for the largest one. I threw in the peeled garlic at this point and let it blend in there for a while.. After that I cut the fat and veins off the beef heart, chopped it up finely and set it aside. At this point I needed to add about 3/4 cups cold water just so my blender could blend it. I started out little by little but ended up using about that much. I put the spirulina in along with the beef heart and peeled zucchini and squash. I added the blood worms and blended. I put 1 3/4 cups water on the stove, brought it to a boil, and added the gelatin packets. Stirred it in real well and added it to the fish and veggie puree. I mixed that well and poured it in ice cube trays and put it in the fridge to set. After that I cut it up what I would use by the end of the week and put it in a jar the the fridge.. The rest I put in my freezer. Next time I would probably use gloves as the horrible smell it produces is really hard to get off. So far I really like this though... I;m going to see how long it lasts in the freezer to adjust my proportions accordingly...