Critique the photo above you... - Page 13 - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #181 of 693 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 09:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Algae Beater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geniusdudekiran View Post
Awesome picture -- one of those pictures that is unique for its composition as well as its spur-of-the-moment subject(s). I personally think it would have made a slightly better photo to use a smaller aperture so that background weren't so blurred, but I know when shooting things that may only last a few seconds it's hard to remember

Last night after washing dad's car:
I can't hear the engine or drive the car -1 ... good shot but it doesn't capture the essence of the car

Algae Beater is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 693 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 04:31 AM
Prodigious Plant Pundit
 
Geniusdudekiran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 5,371
Haha thanks. Yeah, we were washing it and he was like, "You htake so many good pictures but none of my cars." So I did a 35 minute sunset Bimmer shoot

The starfish shot looks great. One thing that jumps out at me is how colorful the starfish is and how dull it makes the sand/coral around it look so dull. If I were you at that moment I probably would have tried to capitalize on this by stepping back a bit and showing how beautiful the colors contrast against the dullness of the seafloor around it. Doubt the starfish was fast enough to go anywhere . Beautiful shot!

One more of the 650i:


I know it's centered, I know it's perfectly straight, I know it's cliche, but what could I have done to make it better? Car photography is something of a weak point for me

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs
Geniusdudekiran is offline  
post #183 of 693 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 05:06 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
zainey_04's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Falls Church, VA
Posts: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geniusdudekiran View Post

One more of the 650i:



I know it's centered, I know it's perfectly straight, I know it's cliche, but what could I have done to make it better? Car photography is something of a weak point for me
I actually like this picture, but you've pretty much nailed everything i was going to say about the picture. what you could have done better, was to take a picture of it from an angle we don't normally look at cars. also car pictures don't have to focus entirely on the car as a whole, but you can also chose a small aspect of it and focus on that ie. Rims, light, mirrors etc.

Here's an HRD picture I took at Ocean City, MD.

zainey_04 is offline  
post #184 of 693 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 04:20 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
TickleMyElmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by zainey_04 View Post
I actually like this picture, but you've pretty much nailed everything i was going to say about the picture. what you could have done better, was to take a picture of it from an angle we don't normally look at cars. also car pictures don't have to focus entirely on the car as a whole, but you can also chose a small aspect of it and focus on that ie. Rims, light, mirrors etc.

Here's an HRD picture I took at Ocean City, MD.
Not bad at all! I like the frame and the composition(especially the water part), the HDR is a little overcooked, but nothing unbearable. Nice job!


What do you guys think of this watermark? I know the image is crap, but I want feedback on the watermark. I wanted something that matched my website logo exactly, and this does, except the website logo is different colors since it has a color background behind it.

Does it look professional enough? I can move it anywhere, but felt it worked best in the center for this particular image...




-
TickleMyElmo is offline  
post #185 of 693 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 04:47 AM
Canon pimp #002
 
zachary908's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Terre Haute, Indiana
Posts: 4,600
I like that watermark, Elmo. Now that I'm actually getting halfway shots I need to work on a better one.

Here's a picture of a Target Mandarin Dragonet I took at work.


RIP 75g Journal | OEBT Journal |120g "New Beginning"

Canon Pimp Club #002
Honeycomb and friends club
zachary908 is offline  
post #186 of 693 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 02:10 PM
Pixel Prestidigitator
 
GraphicGr8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: West coast of the east coast of the USA.
Posts: 3,714
Erick, it works just fine in the center of the shot. Well if you want your signature to be the focal point. A watermark should be faint not at full strength. The idea of a watermark is to keep people from pilfering your images. Now if you mean you want to use it as your signature mark than that's fine. But it should be in the lower left or right. Not in the center. Again, unless that signature is your focal point.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
GraphicGr8s is offline  
post #187 of 693 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 11:30 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
stewardwildcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 427
Erick as an ad, I love the image and where the logo is. If you are using it as a watermark move it to a less conspicuous spot. Awesome picture. The contrast of the entire image drives you to the two in-focus subjects and mutes the rest.

Zach: Those are incredible colors. Focus isnt perfect (mine seems to never be right when it matters) but awesome pic.

My image: Storm over Tucson
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 2.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	46373  


Have you ever seen a French Ninja? NO because they are sneaky.
stewardwildcat is offline  
post #188 of 693 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 02:47 AM
Algae Grower
 
Little Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Springfield, MA
Posts: 85
I like the way the shot has the violence of the lightning topped with the very tranquil starry sky.

I shot 3 rolls of film walking up and down Scarborough Beach and have narrowed down those 72 to 10 that I really like. Here's some of them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FH000003.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	46379  

Click image for larger version

Name:	FH000007.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	46381  

Click image for larger version

Name:	FH000006.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	232.1 KB
ID:	46382  

Click image for larger version

Name:	FH000011.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	46383  


Being crazy keeps me from going insane.
Canon Pimp Club #33
Little Bob is offline  
post #189 of 693 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 03:41 AM
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: non USA
Posts: 74
I love the 2nd photo very much. What film did you use? However, I think the rocks in front are too much and take away the focus of the wall, which should be the main focus of this photo... Sorry, just my 2 cents

This is a photo I shot, handhelded with slow shutter speed

Ha Noi Theater by Tea.H, on Flickr
teah is offline  
post #190 of 693 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 04:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
TickleMyElmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
Erick, it works just fine in the center of the shot. Well if you want your signature to be the focal point. A watermark should be faint not at full strength. The idea of a watermark is to keep people from pilfering your images. Now if you mean you want to use it as your signature mark than that's fine. But it should be in the lower left or right. Not in the center. Again, unless that signature is your focal point.
Thanks!

Yeah you're right, its not so much a watermark, just a signature. But most regular people think of it as a "watermark", so I called it that. I was using that one as more of an advertisement, but I do have two presets, one in the center for ads or where the bottom left is blocked, and one in the bottom left for 99% of the images I'll add the signature to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewardwildcat View Post
Erick as an ad, I love the image and where the logo is. If you are using it as a watermark move it to a less conspicuous spot. Awesome picture. The contrast of the entire image drives you to the two in-focus subjects and mutes the rest.

Zach: Those are incredible colors. Focus isnt perfect (mine seems to never be right when it matters) but awesome pic.

My image:
Thanks! I do admit, I like the picture a lot. I have a color version as well, but I think the black and white edit has so much more punch and impact like you mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teah View Post
I love the 2nd photo very much. What film did you use? However, I think the rocks in front are too much and take away the focus of the wall, which should be the main focus of this photo... Sorry, just my 2 cents

This is a photo I shot, handhelded with slow shutter speed

Very nice! I honestly can't find anything wrong with it, and if I could, I would mention it. But I see it as a great image



Here's another one from the same E-session, the signature/watermark is in the center again, mostly because I want to use it for display/branding.





-
TickleMyElmo is offline  
post #191 of 693 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 03:56 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
shinycard255's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Plainfield, IL
Posts: 1,706
You've got an eye for portrait photography, something I could never really grasp my hands around. The shot is great, the only thing is I can't see your watermark too well (especially Photography). I'd suggest moving it, maybe down and to the right so it's in the water

Here's one I did last week at work while concepting for new ideas

The Fraternity of Dirt #42
Who would have thought that plants like dirt?!
shinycard255 is online now  
post #192 of 693 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 04:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
JCoxRocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 574
Just havin a little fun with these...

Girlfriend's eye



Long exposure of parking lot with moon (no HDR or retouching)

JCoxRocks is offline  
post #193 of 693 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 04:48 PM
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: non USA
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinycard255 View Post
You've got an eye for portrait photography, something I could never really grasp my hands around. The shot is great, the only thing is I can't see your watermark too well (especially Photography). I'd suggest moving it, maybe down and to the right so it's in the water

Here's one I did last week at work while concepting for new ideas
WOW, amazing product shot. The lighting is very nice. It punches the 3D effect for the box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCoxRocks View Post
Just havin a little fun with these...

Long exposure of parking lot with moon (no HDR or retouching)

Lovely long exposure. And I am amazed by this photo not going through a retouch. I think it would look a lot better after a HDR post process!

My girlfriend, working (or facebooking, I don't know LOL) at the coffee shop

ID cafe by Tea.H, on Flickr
teah is offline  
post #194 of 693 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 05:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
zainey_04's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Falls Church, VA
Posts: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by teah View Post

My girlfriend, working (or facebooking, I don't know LOL) at the coffee shop

ID cafe by Tea.H, on Flickr
That's really interesting picture. I love how you can see the light pouring in through the back. It adds a nice affect to the picture.

Here's another HRD I took at Skyline Drive in Virginia. The affect of probably over done, but I like it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335891391.628750.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	46614
zainey_04 is offline  
post #195 of 693 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 07:23 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern VA, USA
Posts: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by teah View Post
WOW, amazing product shot. The lighting is very nice. It punches the 3D effect for the box.



Lovely long exposure. And I am amazed by this photo not going through a retouch. I think it would look a lot better after a HDR post process!

My girlfriend, working (or facebooking, I don't know LOL) at the coffee shop

ID cafe by Tea.H, on Flickr

OMG I was at that cafe during winter break!
takadi is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome