The Planted Tank Forum banner

Show me your Apisto and I'll show you mine

68K views 426 replies 64 participants last post by  Mr. Limpet 
#1 ·
I want to share some pics of the Apistogramma that I'm currently housing and I want to see yours.

Pics 1&2 - Apistogramma Agassizii Fire red
Pics 3&4 - Apistogramma Baenschi also referred to as the Inka 50
Pic 5 - Apistogramma Erythrura Mamore
Pics 6&7 - Apistogramma Borelli
Pic 8 - Apistogramma Cacatuoides Triple Red fry

Hope you enjoy and I look forward to seeing your Apisto's....

Attachments

See less See more
#229 ·
LOVE Apistos! Your pics are gorgeous! I recently aquired a "Balloon" German Blue. I love the balloons! What is everyone's opinions of them? I wantnto get more....they remind me of tiny "Parrot Fish"?
I never really liked the ballon GBR’s. I did however keep the standard ones for a few years.

Side note, the Fire Reds are killin it.

Bump:
It is bulging some and there appears to be a white spot on top.
I’d try an epsom salt dip and remove here from the tank if you have a small spare tank. My male Baenschi developed the white spot on the eye and eventually died. I never was able to figure out what it was.

Attachments

#239 ·
Yesss, I found a source for Apisto "peru - inka" which I believe are the same as apisto baenschi inka. Also going to buy some A. erythrura and a female fire red. Just need 2 weeks for them to arrive at the pet store, then they'll recover a bit and get shipped to me.

He is also bringing in apistogramma algodon, apistogramma apache painted face (paulmuelleri), apisto norberti, checkerboard cichlids. I might buy some of those too. He's going to certainly earn a few hundred bucks off me lol...

#242 ·
He's up in CT. He might be willing to ship. Not sure. I think I'll have my mom pick some up and keep them in the tank at home until I have a chance to go back in a few months.

Some of the fish are wild caught. I don't remember which ones though. I'll let you know when I get my fish sorted out in 2 weeks or so.

#246 ·
I'll definitely breed them if possible and share with you guys. As I said, we should try ship each other young apistos to help spread them around.

I fully agree with this! I'm planning to attempt to breed a few species of Apistos. I'm willing to give shipping fish a try too. My focus will be more on the less common varieties, some wild & F1 fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#245 ·
Went to our local club's meeting & picked up a second trio of A. urteagai & a bunch of A. baenschi juveniles. He has more juveniles that I will probably pick up soon as I've got the tank space to raise them & he doesn't. Bought a bunch of other non Apisto species, a small school of Pygmy corydoras being the one I'm most excited about.

#247 ·
Both the Fire Reds and Abacaxis are spawning regularly to no avail. I’m starting to wonder if my ph is to high since moving to a new place and that’s why mine have been unsuccessful in hatching their spawns. My old water was in the high 6’s to 7. The new place is in the high 7’s. I do have peat moss on hand and can add some to try and get the ph down. Do you all know if peat causes ammonia?

#249 ·
Here is the website for world wide pets: https://www.worldwidefishandpets.com/?v=7516fd43adaa Phone: (203) 745-5222

I don't see most of their apisto stock on their website so it looks like it isn't totally up to date. They had quite a few different species when I called earlier today so if you're interested in something rare or unusual they are 100% the guys to be able to order it for you. When I spoke with them just now they said they are getting their orders ready to submit for a shipment next week, so I think if there was enough forum interest in a particular rare species he would probably be able to order it.

#256 ·
Mine should be here today? I purchased the Sera brand, which did you get? Other options I’ve read about is filtering you water through peat moss and adding sphagnum moss. Short of buying an RO system, these are the tactics I’m going to try.

I almost feel obligated to breed these Abacaxis. They’re such cool fish and they’re not seen that often.

#257 ·
I got fluval brand.

Hey if you don't get them breeding I'd be more than happy to drive by and buy them off you on my way up to CT for xmas ;) I've got RO up in CT.

Too bad I don't have RO down here in TN. The water here is terrible for apistos. 8.2 and hard.

#258 ·
No way, this fish will be staying put. It took me 2 years to find them. They’re breeding now just no success. At least once a week I’ll come home and the female is epically yellow. So I don’t know if the water is the issue or they’re young and just not getting it right. I also need to bump my temp up as I was reading last night that 79 degrees was the sweet spot for even sexing of spawns.

If this doesn’t work I may look into an RO system. Also need to pull the canister filter of and run a sponge. If they do end up being successful then I think the canister would be bad.

#259 ·
I just picked up an ro unit, the water here sucks too & I got tired of buy 10g at a time down at the Walgreens. Although $1/5g wasn't that bad but the 2mile round trip 4 or 5 times in a row (at least!) was the real pain. I'm still going to need to see what I can do to drop the pH some. That is part of the reason I am considering putting dirt in certain areas of the 90p.

#262 ·
Should be fine IMO. Just gonna take time for parents to realize they aren't snacks.

You could confiscate the eggs at 2-3 days and raise them separately. That sometimes kicks the parents into super protective mode on their next batch. And that way you'll get a viable batch of fry.

#267 · (Edited)
I’ll look at some. For now I’ll use the pods I have, they’re similar to a coconut shell.

Oh and I’m testing these peat granules in a glass of water. Stuff floats, I hope it will eventually sink.

Edit: @Zapins from what I can tell, take it slow with the peat granules. I put some in a small cup with water from the tank. Tank water tested at 7.2 and within a couple hours the water in the cup is at whopping 4.3.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.