The Planted Tank Forum banner

Algae id and help

921 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  mcaquatic 
#1 ·
Hi
So my tank has recently moved onto algae phase two. The first phase was beard algae, which has since resolved. The tank is a 46 gallon bow front with a 36 inch dual T 8 light bulbs (the two original bulbs the fixture came with) and one dual coralife T5NO with one 6700K bulb and one 10K bulb. The lights are on for 10 hours a day. I am using the EI dosing per the sticky. There is no nitrite or ammonia. My nitrate test kit isn't working, but I have been reassured using the EI dry ferts I should have adequate nitrate. The tank houses a single RRS piranha, so I cannot add any tank mates. I just moved a month ago and am about to move again in another month. As a result in my current situation the tank is not in an ideal location and is close to large window that does not and cannot have blinds. Thank you for looking and the help.

See less See more
#3 ·
looks like blue green algae to me, I don't really know how to solve it and I am trying to help a friend with it right now. One thing I did last night was pull out and clean everything and put in some Marimo balls to outcompete the algae. If that works I'll let you know, if not someone please help us get this gross crap out of these tanks.

#5 ·
This algae looks much like some algae I have going on in one of my tanks. I've been dosing it with Excel to take care of it, and after about 4 days the algae has died. I'm going to yank the log this afternoon and clean the dead algae off it, and hopefully that takes care of that.

I noticed it started when I reduced the flow in my tank.

#6 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.