Hi, I'm in Lake City and your right, there ain't much.
- There is a place US 1 on the south end of St Augustine, Pet World, I wasn't impressed. Deals in fish and birds.
- Jolly's Reef Shack in Jacksonville. Family owned an operated, nice folks, specialize in fish both fresh and salt. Fairly good selection.
- Aquatropics in Gainesville, go for equipment but not for advice.
- Aqua Mart on US 1 in Titusville, fish only, real nice fella, into the hobby, nice place with nice selection of some quality stuff. Unfortunately, 3 1/2 hr trip from Lake City. I have family in Titusville, so I stop by when I'm down there.
- Fish-Heads Aquatics in Ocala, Awesome! Family owned and operated, he breeds Discus and angelfish. Clean store, nice displays, awesome fish, limited supplies and equipment. Very nice folks.
That's about all I've found, so If you don't like to travel your stuck with the chain stores! The opinions expressed are mine based on my visits and experiences.