LED lighting. gauging interest (pic intensive) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

LED lighting. gauging interest (pic intensive)

LIGHT IS SOLD. If you're interested in getting one of these, let me know. I won't be stocking them, but I can still special order for interested parties

Well packed:

Hanging kit:

2 exhaust fans. They run anytime the unit is plugged in. A timer would make that a non factor.

Vented sides:

LED's:

Close up of LED's. They have lenses attached and a clear cover over the whole face of the light.

Here's the light over a 65 gallon tank. Roughly 24 inches from the substrate.

Colors look a little washed out. Different LED color would help with that. Overall build quality is pretty nice. The body is metal, and the light feels solid. There are some gaps where pieces connect to each other, but nothing serious.

Manufacturer's spec sheet including PAR readings. The PAR readings seem high to me but I don't have a meter to test them:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

There are a lot of other sizes available. If you're interested let me know and I can get you that information.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 07:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

Interesting lights.. wonder how the plants will like it? How does the 30-60-90 viewing angle work?

The Fraternity of Dirt #5
I'm dirty

My Finnex 4 Tank Journal-RETIRED 20L Rimless Journal 55L Journal- 06/2012

.sdrawkcab dootsrednu tub sdrawrof devil si efiL
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 08:05 PM
Planted Member

Are there any that would work on a 30c or Flora/Ebi sized tank? I guess something in the 10" to 12" range?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonr6 View Post
Interesting lights.. wonder how the plants will like it? How does the 30-60-90 viewing angle work?
I've got a tank that is growing plants under a combination of mostly blue and red LED's. It's hideous to look at, but the plants grow under it. Interestingly enough, they grow towards the blue LED's when they get tall enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey9999 View Post
Are there any that would work on a 30c or Flora/Ebi sized tank? I guess something in the 10" to 12" range?
Yes there are. They are sort of block designs for those. there is one that is roughly 6x6 with 3 rows of 4 LED's (12 total LED's) and one that is roughly 12x6 with 4 rows of 6 LED's (24 total).

Both models use 3w Birdgelux and Epistar LED's with an option to upgrade to CREE's.

Pricing
6x6= $139
6x6 w/CREE= $169

12x6= $169
12x6 w/dimmers= $209

12x6 w/CREE= $219
12x6 w/CREE & dimmers= $259

Note that 24 CREE's over a 30c would probably be WAY too much light without a dimmer. The LED grow tank I mention above has 18 CREE LED's over a 40 gallon breeder and I had to dim them to keep from having just a massive algae farm.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So there doesn't seem to be overly much interest in these lights....

If anyone would like to purchase the one I received as a sample (see the 1st post) let me know. It would be really good for a small reef or something. I'll sell this one for what I have in it: $125.00 plus actual shipping. It's only been run long enough to take some pictures.

PM me if interested.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 03:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Nice light. This particular one is pretty much over kill for under an 24" tall planted tank. I do think it would be very good on a mini/nano reef set up.

I believe as more of us go to LEDs you will see interest increase. I think a dimmer is a must have in LED fixtures to fail them in for individual tanks. I expect that to become a standard feature.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
Nice light. This particular one is pretty much over kill for under an 24" tall planted tank. I do think it would be very good on a mini/nano reef set up.

I believe as more of us go to LEDs you will see interest increase. I think a dimmer is a must have in LED fixtures to fail them in for individual tanks. I expect that to become a standard feature.
I agree about the dimmers. If I were going to use this light over a planted tank I would probably just run the white led's (there are separate power switches for blue and white).

I selected this one as my sample because I had someone say they would use it over their nano reef. Sadly, they didn't measure the dimensions of their tank vs the light and it doesn't fit.

I'd use it over my reef but it's not long enough.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 06:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Clay if you don't find a buyer, think about using it on a planted tank with just the whites for a while. Or, if you can? run a timer on the blues for a peak photo period...Might just have a great plant light there. Some real world testing might be what you need.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
Clay if you don't find a buyer, think about using it on a planted tank with just the whites for a while. Or, if you can? run a timer on the blues for a peak photo period...Might just have a great plant light there. Some real world testing might be what you need.

I would, but I don't need another high light set up.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

LIGHT IS SOLD. PM me if you want one special ordered.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode