Rimless tank pre order - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naekuh View Post
lol... i saw these tanks in person and had to pick one up at my LFS... they are nice...

since the front is rounded, you dont need to worry that much about silicon showing.

The glass isnt ADA class, the silicon isnt ADA class, but, and i say BUT, the price sure is a lot south of a ADA tank, and it looks much better then a rim'd 10gal.

In all great tanks... i have one.. waiting to set it up.

LOL i wonder whose going to buy the 3 gallon? the tank costs as much as shipping :X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onenobee View Post
I was able to pick the 5 gallon and 3 gallon at my lfs. It is a nice tank for the price. I switched out a 5 gallon acylic with the rimless 5 gallon. I will try and post some pics on the 5 gallon later. Will be switching out a 2.5 gallon rimmed tank with the 3 gallon rimless soon.

Thanks for the feedback guys. It's nice to hear it from someone who has seen them in person. I'd love to see some pics!

Also, if shipping is less than I estimated, I will refund the difference. I estimated the shipping weight on the 3 gallon to be 10 lbs, and I bet it will be less than that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 02:37 PM
Algae Grower

Are you going to get bigger tanks in the future? Like in the 20 Gal range?

Joe
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsticks View Post
Are you going to get bigger tanks in the future? Like in the 20 Gal range?
I'm not really sure. These tanks got a whole lot less interest than I expected them to.
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 02:53 AM
Surrounded by Blyxa

I have some interest in the 10 but I think I am just waiting to see someone else that has one with photos, etc first.
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 02:00 PM
Planted Member

Yeah I have some interest but I am waiting to see which is better the Aqueon Evolve or the Pen Plax. Which is like asking which brand of cheap Gas is better I know.
post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_jim_jones View Post
Yeah I have some interest but I am waiting to see which is better the Aqueon Evolve or the Pen Plax. Which is like asking which brand of cheap Gas is better I know.
Well, coincidentally, I just bought an Aqueon Evolve 8 (Petco giftcard for Christmas).

For one thing, it's acrylic and the penn plax tanks are glass. I'm not super thrilled with the integrated filter system. It's a 2 chamber overflow design that draws water through a filter cartridge (I hate filter cartridges, but that's another subject) by means of a power head that is sat in the second chamber. The power head outlet is attached by a hose to a nozzle at the top of the chamber that points into the tank itself. The nozzle is mildly adjustable. Not my choice for a filter set up, but it works allright so far.

Things I really don't like about the aqueon:

The lid is reeeeaaallly cheap.

The LED light is ok. The "lunar light" feature is way too bright. Like someone turned a blue light bulb on. That said, I doubt the penn plax light is much better.

The worst part so far is the overflow chamber design. The chamber that holds the filter cartridge is about 6 inches deep. The other chamber is about 10 inches deep. The problem is that the second chamber travels under the first. So you have a cave that is impossible to reach into underneath that first chamber. The first day I spent about 4 hours trying to get a shrimp out of that cave.

After that it wasn't terribly hard to shrimp proof the overflow system, so hopefully I won't have to go spelunking after shrimp anymore.

It should work well enough, but it certainly has some issues. The advantage of the Penn Plax in my opinion, is that you can get the tank without the "integrated" components.

Crappy lid that falls into the tank unless positioned just right:

Overflow system. The black foam was not included and is part of my shrimp proofing:

The other side of the overflow system. You can't see it in the pic, but this side extends under the other side:
post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 09:26 AM

What ever came of these just noticed post interest in ten gallon
post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 09:30 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the Aqueon review! I don't want it anymore haha
post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Just an update here.

I got a chance to see the Penn Plax Radius (along with the Vertex, a more vertical rectangle shape) at the Global Pet Expo this week. They aren't bad. Some of the silicone work is a little sloppy though. But that's to be expected at this price.

However, I met another manufacturer at the show and will probably be getting tanks from them in the relatively near future. The tanks are very high quality German silicone with high clarity glass. I would put them up next to an ADA tank any day. They'll be quite a bit less expensive than ADA as well. More info on this in the coming days.....
post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 07:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

You tease!

Looking forward to the details on these.
post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by madness View Post
You tease!

Looking forward to the details on these.
Be patient, grasshopper! (in my best Mr. Miyagi voice)
post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 03:20 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Any idea yet on the output of the lights on the PennPlax?

sox

post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockfish View Post
Any idea yet on the output of the lights on the PennPlax?

sox
No specific numbers as I've never owned one. When I saw them at the Pet Expo they looked a little weak. I wouldn't trust them for much more than moss and java fern honestly.
post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 02:06 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkestsky View Post
Just an update here.
I met another manufacturer at the show and will probably be getting tanks from them in the relatively near future. The tanks are very high quality German silicone with high clarity glass. I would put them up next to an ADA tank any day. They'll be quite a bit less expensive than ADA as well. More info on this in the coming days.....
any news yet ?
post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 02:17 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I think the lighting will be fine for what I want to do--I've ordered the 5 gal to upgrade my Betta's home. He's happy lurking in his ferns, and it looks like a great tank for the price.

Does this mean you are not going to sell them after all?

sox

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode